Dual boot Win 7-Vista followup question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by tutor772, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutor772

tutor772 Registered Member

OK, I know I am way jumping the gun here, but I feel "unprotected" without FD-ISR installed on my Windows 7 installation. I'd like to install it before my Win 7 installation gets too complicated, and even before the Win 7 compatible version is released.
    Here's my setup. I had Vista setup as my C: drive--primary, active partition. Before installing Win 7, I created a new partition in front of the Vista partition. I then did a "custom install" of Win 7 into the new partition. Everything went well, and when I boot the computer, the Windows Boot Manager comes up and gives me the choice of booting to Win 7 or Vista. If I boot to Win 7, the Win 7 partition is listed as C: drive, and my old Vista install is the D: drive.
    But, here's where I run into trouble with FD-ISR. The Win 7 C: drive is NOT the active partition--the Vista drive is. If I try to install FD-ISR in Win 7, it gives me the error message saying FD-ISR requires the installation drive to be the system boot drive. (Makes sense.) I used Acronis Disk Director Suite to change the Win 7 partition to the "active" partition, but when I reboot, I get the "NTLDR missing" error.
    Is there any way to work around this problem? Or am I stuck without ever being able to install FD-ISR on Win 7?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi tutor772,

I do not get it. Since you do have the original/legendary FD-ISR workstation wouldn't it be simplier to install both Vista and 7 in different snapshots on the same partition?

Panagiotis

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  3. tutor772

Yes, that would make sense, wouldn't it? That's how I had Vista and XP installed--each in its own snapshot. Then I could boot to either by selecting the proper snapshot.
    The reason I have Win 7 and Vista in their own partitions is that I want to be able to access both Vista and Win 7 at the same time. I want to be able to copy files from Vista to Win 7. If Win 7 and Vista are in separate partitions I can use my file manager to copy files back and forth. When they are in separate snapshots, I have to boot to the Vista snapshot, copy the files to another drive, then boot back into Win 7 and copy the files into Win 7. It's just more convenient for my use to have the operating systems in separate partitions.

4. tutor772

I think I answered my own question. I used Acronis Disk Director Suite to set the Win 7 partition "active". Then I followed the directions in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 927392 to "repair" my boot disk. The process is similar to that posted on the "mission accomplished" thread: boot to the Win 7 DVD, select Repair my computer, and let Windows do its thing. I had to do the "repair" twice before I could get to a command prompt, and then I used bootsec /fixmbr and bootsec /fixboot to repair everything. Knock on wood, it seems to be working. When I tried to install FD-ISR on Win 7, I received the "boot sector is an unknown type" error message--no surprise, I guess. I don't think I'll press my luck at this point, and I'll just wait for the Win 7 version of FD-ISR. After all, it's just over a week before the "within 30 days" deadline in the note from Todd, so I should be golden in a few days :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.