Dual Boot Vista XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by irvdk, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irvdk

irvdk Registered Member

If you intend to remove XP off of your C:\ drive and you have installed Vista from within Windows to the V:\ drive, are you stuck with Vista on V:\ or can you direct it to the C:\ partition?

Thanks Irv

2. DCM

DCM Registered Member

Is your V: drive a partition or a separate hard drive?

3. irvdk

irvdk Registered Member

A partition,
    Thanks

4. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Do you mean you want it to physically take up the location of the first partition (assuming that is C)?

Also, if C is the first partition, you should be aware that formatting that partition won't allow you to boot up since that is where Vista installed its bootloader. I made that mistake, and didn't know the commands to reinstall Vista's bootloader at the time.

5. irvdk

irvdk Registered Member

That is exactly what I wanted to do. I think the easiest way to do this is going to be Uninstall vista from this drive and install it on one of my extra drives. That way it will be clean. I was just trying to not have to reinstall all of my programs that installed themselves to V:\. Such is life....no biggy.
    Thanks
    Irv

6. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I had a dual boot Windows XP and Windows 98 system set up on two partitions when XP first came out.

After XP was fully set up and I decided that I liked it, I just deleted the partition containing Windows 98 and "resized" the XP partition to gain the unused space.

That was years ago and there were no bad effects of doing it this way.

It was set up using the instructions of Partition Magic and the set up went perfectly.

Bootmagic (comes with Partition Magic) was used to select the operating system each time the computer was turned on. It can be easily set to start one of them as a default system after a few seconds or minutes of no response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.