Dual Boot question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by horn, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horn

horn Registered Member

On my PC I have installed dual boot with two OS:
    -XP Pro SP2 and
    -Win 98 SE
    -Theerd partition is "D" which serves to archiviate some important things.
    _The file system is FAT 32.
    After fist install I was able to access any folder from one OS to another and viceversa,open it (including Windows and Programs File folders).
    Due to some problems with XP SP2, recently was forced to repear it by console and Installation CD.
    On my supprise I discovered that I haven't any more possibility to access (better to say to open) two folders -i.e. Windows and Program Files as before.Those two folders are visible on the left pane but as "empty", all others are accessible and can be opened and used as before without any problem ,or through Windows Explorer or directly by entering from OS which is operational to other one which is inactive at the moment.
    I don't know what is the "normal" behaviour-as it was in the beguining or as it is now.
    The actual situation looks as "abnormal", but I have no idea what can be the reason why.
    By the way I can boot any of two OS normaly.
    Please let me know how can be this inconvinient repared .
    Thanks

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi horn,

Which OS did you install first (IMPORTANT under this particular scenario)?
    Is sp2 included on your XP Pro disc or, was it updated after the install?

GF

3. horn

horn Registered Member

Hi Global Force,
    Before console repear of XP Pro SP2, as I explain above,never faced problems to jump from one to another OS and open every folder I want.
    If remember well, as the first OS was installed Windows 98 SE and after XP Pro SP-1 as second OS.When SP2 was outh ,updated this OS with a proper CD.At that time all was O.K.Two months ago due to XP Pro SP2 crash was forced to repear this OS using Console.
    To be precize must revert that my friend who help me to repear OS XP Pro SP2 recently, used his own CD -( not my) ,but realy I can not see any difference.
    Repeat all folders except two -Windows and Program Files in both OS, are accessible and can be menaged normaly, but those two showing that they are empty.
    One thing more......day after repear I discovered that partition where is XP Pro SP2 is almoust doubled in extention, so I decided to delete one .
    Maybe that is the reason why I have such a situation now.
    Hope this will help you to find how we can do something .
    Thanks very much for your assistance m'8.

4. GlobalForce

horn,

Please try to answer the following and correct me or clarify if I'm wrong anywhere while I check into a few detail's. Thank's.

• We're dealing with one hard disc (list capacity), multiple partition's (allocated sizes please), yes?

• Which utility was used to format/partition?

• Win98 is on the boot, or system partition (both installed on separate partition's)?

• When you state your friend used his cd, are we talking HIS XP Pro disc or his sp2 disc (sp2 wouldn't matter)?

Yes, essentially the same but with different product activation code's,
      part of which is a "hardware hash" calculated from the computer on which it's installed.

See this page for detail's - http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

Information here may be a little easier to digest - http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-200

• Are they (yours and his both) genuine issue Microsoft (retail), OEM's (supplied by computer manufacturer), or one of each?

• Was your friend's Pro install ever activated and is it in use by him at this point in time?

• Do you still have access to your original XP Pro install cd?

GF

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I hope that Win XP and Win 98 are installed in separate logical drives and that Win 98 was installed first.

If not, that will cause problems.

6. horn

horn Registered Member

@GF,
    I'll try to answer your questions:
    *Yes
    *Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director
    *When boot , boot through Acronis and both OS are shown separatelly and installed on separate partitions ( on one HD)
    * My feiend CD is XP Pro updated with SP-2
    * I beleive his product key is corporate one.
    *Don't know but if check with WGA then is not genuine one.
    * No ,don't accept my product key ( old one)

7. GlobalForce

Hi horn,

This .... "No ,don't accept my product key" I interpret as an OEM installation. One that came preinstalled with your computer, one that was manufacturer pre-activated, and the reason why the code you typed in (from probably the side of the box) didn't work. You would have needed to use something like RockXP to uncover the registry's jumbled information. Go ahead, try it on your present install. Note if your friends computer hardware is different from your own, I'm not sure what kind of result's it's going to return.

I simply have no easy answer's. You and your friend could both look into "How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a computer that is running Windows XP SP1 and later versions of Windows XP" or, for yourself "Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows XP."

*IF* I were in your shoe's I'd try calling the manufacturer for assistance re-installing YOUR copy. Based on everything I've read and know about your situation (which btw isn't much), I'm led to believe your going about this the wrong way. If you say it worked prior to adding SP2, I would without question integrate it with the installation folder, not just run it. The only problem with that if it's truly an OEM disc is you'll have to cross-apply some of the principle's by Googling these two title's (sans quote's) ....

"Langa Letter: How To Save an Hour (Or More) On XP Installs"

"VBdotNet's Instructions for Creating an XP SP2 slipstream CD"

It's possible someone else view's all this DOABLE, with more than just casual comment's :cautious:
    .... in which case, it would be most interesting to see what they have in mind?

Whichever road you choose, good luck!

GF

8. horn

horn Registered Member

GF ,
    Thanks very much for your help.As I can see there are not easy solution for my problem.
    Just to be more clear.I guess upgrades SP-1 and SP-2 have no influence on actual situation, only some mistakes done by my friend during Console repear.
    This repear was done on XP SP-2 and before it ,I was able to access and open any folder in all partitions - now Windows folder and Program Files folder ( if I enter from XP Pro in Win 98 SE, or if boot Win 98 SE and go to XP Pro ) only those two, in the Property shows as "Empty"
    That's strange.Why others are normal, but only those two are "Empty".
    I know that solution can be one clean install of XP Pro SP-2 but this is to much "painfull".
    One thing more.My actual CD I created as an XP SP2 slipstream CD by my self,when SP-2 goes out.
    Maybe the best solution is to leave it as it is- both systems works properly.
    I am note sure but the reason can be change of instalatin CD and change of Product key ( unnecessary done ) during console repear, and some other mistakes.
    Yestrday discovered that in Start/Programs/Games, Games are "Empty" in XP Pro SP-2 ( those 6-7 games which comes with Windows installation CD) but this is another thema - in any case in connection wit above mentioned problem.

9. GlobalForce

horn,

Your issue with empty folder's may reside with your formatting utility. Take a careful read through both the problem and Acronis Support's reply,
    including everything in-between, omitting for the moment the second dual-boot OS mentioned is also XP (maybe it'll conjure up some idea's).

Personally, "Maybe the best solution ...." I find it difficult to understand the reasoning why some people would prefer to struggle using a crippled OS instead of just re-installing. I see it time and time again with all sort's of spyware the user has absolutely no idea of removing, let alone following most of the technical routine's involved. After the first time, what's the big deal? I'm reinstalled with all driver's and (essential) program's in about two hour's. If you need more time, stay offline the extra day or two, the internet will still be here.

Please, feel free to omit the re-install rant part. :D

GF

10. horn

horn Registered Member

Hi GF,
    Agree 100% with you.First I'll try to create one Acronis Report and send it to Acronis Support Team.
    I beleive also that the problem lies there.
    I'll revert later on about this question.
    All the best
    horn:thumb:
    NB : Games sorted using Installation CD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.