dual boot issue

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lodore, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    im trying to dualboot a linux distro like i used to.
    in the past i have dualbooted vista and ubuntu,vista and fedora.

i couldnt seem to dualboot fedora 11 whic i thought was because of the boot partition.

to dualboot i install grub to the boot partition which is normally / and then start up vista and use easybcd to create an entrie on the vista bootloader.

but it didnt work for mandriva 2009.1 spring or fedora 11. maybe i put grub on wrong partition by mistake. btw they both use EXT4 so they could be part of the problem but i dono. i may try ubuntu 9.04 later to see.

another issue i have is that suddenly both fedora and mandriva tell me sda is corropt and do i want to format it. no i dont want to because its not corropt and contains two ntfs partitions c: and F: C is vista and F: is my data partition.

I may grab fedora 10 iso and see if i can install that since i have dual booted that fine before.

btw im also asking on the easybcd forums.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

For what it's worth, when I dual boot Win and Linux, I always pull the plug on the Win drive entirely before I install Linux. That way it doesn't mess with the Win drive in any way, and the 2 OS's are completely clean and independant. Then to boot, I just use the BIOS menu, for me I hit F10 at boot time and I get my menu, then pick whichever OS/HD I want to boot. I have found this to be the cleanest and easiest way to go.

3. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I agree with Kerodo, thats the way I do multi-boots :thumb:

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

edit: i solved the problem see here for the solution

the problem is that certain distos such as ubuntu later versions and fedora later versions dont install grub correctly. they expect it to be on your first hard drive or the same hard drive as the other operating system you have.
    I need to find out how to make the change more perminant. atm i have to edit grub everytime i want to boot it.

this means that everytime there is a kernel update i will have to edit the new entrie from HD0,1 to HD1,1 then press B to boot.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Maybe try chainloading. In my case Jaunty 9.04 grub is installed to the second
    hard drive's '/'
    (I have just # hashed out the timeout i.e. #timeout 6
    so that I have time to select the OS I want to boot.)

Eg:-

title Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-24-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-24-generic root=UUID=491ab32a-2384-4074-b9bb-828eee0f5ca0 ro quiet splash all_generic_ide vga=791
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic
    quiet

etc. etc.

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty 64 bit
    root (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1

( When running 8.04, I will get kernel updates for 8.04; when running 9.04 I will get kernel updates for 9.04)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  6. demonon

demonon Guest

I also use EasyBCD to dual boot.
    The same issue was solved when I used EBCD 2.0 beta, the 2.0 version can handle ext4FS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.