DSO EXPLOIT

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by gphayden, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gphayden

gphayden Registered Member

I have spybot on my computer. It says Spyblaster does better to eliminate DSO Exploit. It usually attacks my computer 5 times each time I use it. Could SpyBlaster include this. I do not know SLID which is what it asks for to add to SpyBlaster

2. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Data Source Object Exploit is what we're working with here. It is a security setting of IE that will allow "exploitation" of your web browser therefore it cannot be protected against with Spyware Blasters' kill bits. If you're up to date with Windows Update you should be ok. I don't know if the release for Spybot 1.3.1 is out yet which fixes the bug about the DSO coming up on every scan even after fixing it. I have it because I use beta software. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. If I remember correctly the setting has to do with ActiveX controls so just having SWB improves your chances of being protected.

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

4. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

I used to have 5 examples of DSO Exploit on my PC that Spybot would find and fix. But they were always back with a new scan and DSOstop2 would only remove 1. Then I found this fix on another forum: "The DSO Exploit should point you to a registry key file like...Zones\0\1004. It could be folder 01 instead of 0, but open the registry and go there. Don't depend on the jump feature of Spybot to do this. The 1004 is called a DWORD. You'll notice its icon is different than most icons there.Here's what you have to do. Right-click on 1004 and delete it. Right-click on 0 {or 01} and create a new DWORD called 1004. Double-click on your new 1004 and give it a value of 3. Make sure the Base is chosen as Hexadecimal {it is by default}. Cick on OK and close the Registry. You're all set." I did this over 1 month ago and have seen no problems nor any DSO Exploits.

5. wyrmrider

wyrmrider Registered Member

Lots of info on this at net-integration spybot forum

It's a false positive

It's fixed in the beta release

It will be fixed in the next release

ignore it

MS fixed a long time ago basic problem
    you are ok if windows update is up to date

wyrmrider

6. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

Regarding Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 :

I have the above version of Spybot - S & D, but when I followed this link :

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/10/17/10-17-21.shtml

after running a search, I found that this is a newer version -> 1.3.1.
    It looks exactly the same as v1.3. What's the difference?

When I click the 'download' link for 1.3.1, the file is an 'update'. Can I just download the update file, or do I need to remove v1.3 completely and then download this update?

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have SB s/d 1.3.1 and it has finally quit finding the same four dso objects.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I can't find 1.3.1 on any of the official mirror sites, net-intergration or the Spybot Search and Destroy website.

Could only find this, without an answer:

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=21510&hl=1\.3\.1

Is the softpedia website version a copy or the real McCoy?

Cheers :D

9. bobby dias

bobby dias Registered Member

Spybot S&D put in every program a number of DSO exploits reports so that the users would click and think HOW GREAT SPYBOT S&D IS!!!!! The next day
    the users see the same number" reported and click and think HOW GREAT
    SPYBOT IS!!!!! And they tell everyone SPYBOT IS GREAT!!!!
    Spybot S&D has had all this great advertising for free- based on fraud by SPYBOT S&D's false finding and then false deleting of DSO exploits. Some of the users are finding they have real DSO Exploits to remove and are looking
    to anybody besides those that lied to them - Spybot S&D.

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

bobby dias, In my opinion you are very misinformed about SB s/d The DSO exploit is known and is being corrected. Spreading heresay information doesn't do anyone any good. And might possibly harm the reputation of a good product to people that don't know better. It would be a good Idea to make sure your information is correct before you start bashing a product in the future.

bigc

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Not only heresay, bobby dias, but you are also absolutely wrong.

12. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The true facts about the DSO Exploit issue were known from the first day (well, maybe the day after) Spybot 1.3 was released. See this thread at their home forum, where you can plainly see the exact definition of what the DSO Exploit finding is, as well as the detailed technical background on the exact IE settings required to trigger it, the known bug in Spybot, and a work-around to prevent the finding:

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=15308

The author knew it was a bug, but because the fix required a release of a full new EXE version, not just an update to the definitions, the fix was delayed. (Millions of people run Spybot and releasing a whole new install is very costly. Besides, since it wasn't a big problem, it did not need an immediate fix.)

bobby dias - you really need to learn to research things a whole lot better before posting such things.

13. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Yeah, I mean cuz I remember that 1.2 fixed it just fine. I mean, I don't know what happened with 1.3 but obviously the team is doing its best fix software bugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.