DSL woes - any ideas?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hjbyram, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

I use Verizon DSL. I have been having problems with exceptionally slow download speeds. I have been on the phone with Verizon multiple times, changed modems, changed modem locations, & nothing has improved.

When we execute the Verizon speed test, I always fall within the 10M & up Ethernet speed, their top speed. When Verizon tests the line, they say there is no problem. And yet, when I download from Audible.com, or anywhere else, I get blazing download speeds varying from 7KB to 16 KB, which can take from 2 to 4 hours to complete the download. Even smaller download files just crawl.

My system is XP PRO SP2, Pentium 4, 1GB Ram, 250GB HD
    I formerly used a local dial-up provider that had a product called WSFTP_95 or WS95_FTP - I have removed all of that from my PC. I also use NOD32 & Online Armor. When I shut both of those down, there is no change in the download speeds at all, so I don't feel they are the problem.

Can anyone suggest something else I can check in order to try to fix this? THANKS

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. hjbyram

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You're not doing so good on the test. Perhaps you could send the results to Verizon.

If your DSL has been running alright recently and suddenly dropped in speeds, I would say Verizon has a problem somewhere. OR, if they are leasing phone lines from at&t, there could be a problem with at&t's equipment.

At any rate, you can send the speed results to Verizon and see what they think.

If you run multiple tests, you will have a record of the speeds you are seeing.

One thing for sure, something is wrong.

5. hjbyram

Thanks ronjor, I will do that.

Actually, the problem has been going on for many months now, but it seems to be getting worse. And now it affects videos - say like Youtube - they start then stop then start then stop. Driving me nuts. Actually, my old dial-up was faster!

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I recently went through the same experience. Turns out my dsl provider and at&t had a mismatch in their equipment on at&t's side.
    The speed you are showing in your screenshot will not play youtube without the starting and stopping. And it will drive you nuts. :D

7. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

8. hjbyram

Thanks for the great links ronjor & coolbluewater.

NOD32 has a winsock fix, which I already executed. But nothing has changed. Although it has gotten worse, it has never been really right, I now realize.

I will be contacting Verizon, YET again. Thanks so much.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let us know what you find.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I used Verizon DSL for a while, with much the same results. LOTS of phone calls. Press-1 Press-2 etc then elevator music then lousy advice in barely understandable accent. Again & again for nearly 2 weeks.

So I switched to cable. Costs a bit more. Works great.

I do hope you are able to get your DSL up-to-snuff.

11. tayres

tayres Guest

Same experience as bellgamin.

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Don't forget the simpler things as well. I did tech support for a couple different ISPs in the past, and most speed problems were due to something in the person's house. Try new cables between the modem and the wall. Try connecting the modem to your computer via USB if it's not already, and if it is already then try a network cable. If you have cordless phones, or any other kind of wireless transmitter, in the house try unplugging the power temporarily. Make sure you've got DSL filters on ALL phones (that's a big one), and try unplugging all the other phones in the house. And so on. Anything that is connected to the phone lines or may interfere should be ruled out. Also listen for the presence of any kind of noise on your phone line, as that can be a huge factor.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Interesting Notok. I usually try that, but only as exorcism, i didn't really think that would help me isolate the issue, but i did it anyway, like vudoo.

You're saying it actually helps to pinpoint the problem. How can a phone interfere?

14. hjbyram

Thanks Notok - I've had to be away so haven't had a chance to spend the time (hours on occassion) with Verizon yet.

My DSL router is an all-in-one & I'm connected via Ethernet cable, & both ends are secure! I have those cordless phones where you have the one phone/base & then can connect multiple handsets throughout the house minus a phone cord, just the electrical outlet. So today I switched the base phone from my desk with one of the plugins & redid some tests. Although the speed was a tiny bit faster, it really hasn't helped anything. (All DSL filters are in place where they should be.)

SO, started playing with the placement of the modem & look at this:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/119658672.png

15. hjbyram

Okay, that was a fluke - I've been redoing the tests & they are all back to the original slow times. Oh well.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Ask Verizon to have your phone lines checked. They are probably leasing them from at&t.

I've been using ADSL for six and one half years and have never had a failure in my modem or router.

The problems have been at the main office switch or in my phone line.

Either they have you throttled back or there is a phone line problem.

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Yippee! My service beats DSL!! :eek: :D :p

I have a coworker who subscribed to DSL recently. Her connection speeds were also not up to snuff. Verizon investigated and later found a problem at a junction box somewhere outside her neighborhood. She kept thinking that the problem was on her end (bad modem, bad wiring, bad computer board, etc.) But her throughput improved after Verizon fixed the outside junction box.

18. hjbyram

Update on my dsl woes:
    1. 1st call to the DSL tech line was the usual - no problem. When I protested I was given the # for the modem people.
    2. Call the modem people only to find out I can't get through unless a Verizon rep is on the line with me
    3. Call Verizon DSL tech line again - agree there is a problem, must be with the modem. Want to send a new modem (wait, the old Westell did the same thing, that won't help, will continue to have a problem)
    4. They confer some more and decide I need a booster. But wait, the billing dept. is closed, call back on Monday.

Ok, my next course of action is to call my main Verizon customer service line & complain. I have phone, cell, DSL, & DirectTV through them, so maybe I can get some action. Oh, and as usual, these phone calls that result in no help take approx. 1.5-2 hours.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would imagine if you told them you were dropping all the services from them, they would respond very quickly. :D

20. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am pretty sure the response time will improve if you threaten to do that. :D

21. hjbyram

An update -
    It has taken additional calls, including one to the main office, but today through demonstrating my obvious problem using verizon's infospeed test, someone is coming out Monday.

My tests always register in the 2X ISDN 128K range. During the call I received a whopping 224.9 Kbits/sec and 28.1KBytes/sec. Right now it's 185.6 Kbits & 23.2 KBytes.

I redid the test for the tech person with Online Armor & NOD32 shut down completely, after powering down both the PC & Modem & starting all over. I'm a former LNS user, but that has been unistalled for several months.

Hopefully the problem will be resolved by Monday evening.

22. hjbyram

It appears my DSL problem have been resolved. The problem existed at one of the 2 routers that service my area. Of course I was assigned to the router having the issue. It also seems that none of my calls were available to other groups - the tech who came to the house was in touch with the router tech. The router tech said he didn't see any calls from me regarding an issue. Does this look better?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/135373893.png

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Much better. :D Good to see you're cooking again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.