DSL router, remote access

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by herbalist, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I've recently switched to DSL service after years on dialup. I'm using a Netopia 3341 supplied by my internet service. Its security settings are horrible. I've managed to tighten some of it, but one big problem remains that I haven't figured out how to fix. If I connect to my IP from another PC and find the HTTP server port, which shows open with a port scan, all that stands in the way is an 8 character password, the largest it will accept. How do I close this port? Is it possible with this unit to configure it not to respond to port scans at all?
    Rick

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

This may help

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Thanks. It does help. I was at their site and didn't find that. This is the first time I've dealt with setting up a DSL router.
    I almost laughed when I read this:
    Some layer! The only choices for usernames are "admin" and "user", with an 8 character password. Not much of a security layer.
    I couldn't help noticing this either:
    I spent better than an hour on the phone with a rep from my service provider, manually configuring this thing. It either wasn't configured before being shipped or got reset to factory settings along the way. Apparently, either my ISP wanted it left open to configuration from the net or he didn't think about disabling it. The first sounds more likely if it's normally shipped with these disabled. I can somewhat accept my ISP needing access to the router, possibly for IP address changes, but that's just too easy for anyone to gain access.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.