DSL and LnS?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by JerryM, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am considering getting DSL to replace my dial up.
    Is there any problem with the LnS? One thread discussed routers and firewalls. Is DSL a router?

Are there any disadvantages to DSL except the additional 20 bucks a month?

Jerry

2. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

> I am considering getting DSL to replace my dial up.
    >Is there any problem with the LnS? One thread discussed >routers and firewalls. Is DSL a router?

LnS works just fine with my DSL connection!
    DSL is not a router. In simple words: DSL is a data transfer protocol, which allows you to transfer data through a telephone line at relatively high-speed.
    A router is a box and plugged between your incoming telephone line and your DSl-modem. Primarily you do not need it, but most of the routers contain a (hardware) firewall, which is nice and seriously helps to protect you! It is recommended to use a router when you have >1 computer (your wife & your kids computers) connected to your DSL line.

> Are there any disadvantages to DSL except the
    > additional 20 bucks a month?

Well, you might spend more money with DLS for using the internet. However, ususally you will like the DSL download speed so much that you will be online for many, many more hours compared to dial-up. In my country you can choose between a "flat-line" (more expensive) and a "limited download volume" (less expensive) per month.

So if you like downloading movies from the internet, go for the flat-rate. If you rather prefer small, but fast downloads go for the limited-volume rates...

Thomas :)

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I ordered DSL today from my ISP. It takes about 10 days for the box to get here, and I am going to buy it for 60 bucks to save the $5 per month rental. I realize that there might be some routers or whatever they are a little cheaper, but this will be quick and easy.

If I get in trouble I'll yell for help.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.