DrWeb support - is anybody home?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I just installed XP, so I reinstalled DrWeb. When I tried a scan, I got the message "Invalid Virus Base or invalid path to virus base." So I uninstalled DrWeb & re-reinstalled it. Tried a scan. Same message.

The pop-up message offered no option to configure or fix whatever the problem is. Every time I clicked "OK" to get the pop-up out of the way, DrWeb shut down its scanner immediately. No matter what I tried, I was unable to get to DrWeb's scanner's GUI in order to search for a fix.

I checked DrWeb's folder. All the virus sig files were right where they were supposed to be. Moreover, they were fully current with what shows on the DrWeb website. A right click on DrWeb SpIDer Guard, followed by a click on "Control" showed sigs fully updated, license okay, etc.

I sent a message to DrWeb support on 7/8/2006. I included my key in the message so they will know I'm a licensed user. No reply from DrWeb to date.

In the meantime I am uncertain if DrWeb is really on guard, so I had no choice but to uninstall the doctor & switch to AntiVir-PE (which works splendidly, by the way).

I shall keep you posted as to when/if DrWeb support helps me. Wish me success, please. I really miss my system tray's little spider. :oops:

2. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

Did you install Windows XP over Windows ME with update option?

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It shouldn't matter because even if he did upgrade to XP from ME, he did reinstall Dr.Web at least once on XP.

@bellgamin: My memory fails me right now, but could you post the entire contents of the drweb32.ini file in the Dr.Web directory?

Its strange to see support behave so strangely, I've always had great support from Dr.Web. If you have used the ticket based support system, then you should have gotten a reply by today. If you sent them an email, I'd say to wait till tomorrow.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

are you using Online Armor? I was using Online Armor AV+ and recently installed Dr.Web... I was getting the same message "Invalid Virus Base or invalid path to virus base" when launching the main scanner. I have recently unistalled ON AV+ and Dr.Web is working again.

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Maybe send an email direct to Mike Kolyadko at DrWEB. He seems to be one of the big Kahuna's in the Support area. A little Hawaiian humor eh?...:blink: :shifty: :D

6. Firecat

I cant see how Online Armor can have problems with Dr.Web.....Sure, it is possible if you have OA AV+ (because Doctor Web does not like Kaspersky, simple as that), but there is no such component in OA which would cause conflict with Dr.Web :doubt:

7. bellgamin

3 days & I still haven't heard so much as a peep from DrWeb support. Either they don't have answers or they are asleep at the switch. I bought a 2-year license to DrWeb & it still has a year left, but it's worthless right now. VERY disappointed!

A program that is unable to find its own files, & won't allow the user to intervene or help in any way, is rather poorly designed IMO.

No. My IT scrubbed both Hard Drives clean, then did a full install of XP.

No can do. I uninstalled DrWeb.

I hope I know better than to run 2 AVs at the same time. I use OAplain.

Even though I am a 3-year user of DrWeb, & am very much a fan -- if the issue comes down to DrWeb or OnlineArmor, I will choose Online Armor. There are lots of good AVs, but only one OA and only one Mike N to give support & comfort.

8. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

DrWeb's support has been vastly improved I thought until now. I would have thought someone from DrWeb would have responded here by now.
    I hope this is an isolated event as I just renewed for two years.

Bellgamin, did you even get an acknowledgement that your email had been received?

9. Firecat

There is usually no acknowledgement for emails that you send to their support team (At least I didn't get one). You just get a direct reply.

I think its an isolated event, I've not had any bad experience with Dr.Web's support. :doubt:

10. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Firecat you are correct, I meant a direct reply.

11. bellgamin

I have sent a follow-up request to DrWeb, again requesting support. They still have not answered or acknowledged my requests. They KNOW I am a paying customer because I included my registration key in both of my messages. No offense but I do not want to be regarded as an "isolated event." As of right now, this LACK of support is the way that DrWeb is operating.

I have been a faithful customer and supporter of DrWeb for nearly 3 years. I am very disappointed.

In the meantime, AntiVir PE is doing an excellent job. It is very light on system resources and updates very speedily. I did a full scan last night. FAST scanner!

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I didnt have the AV part of OA AV+ running. I guess it's just a coincidence that bellgamin and I got the same error message while running Dr.Web and OA as part of our setup.... I really don't know. :doubt:

13. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Mental Note: Customer Service with Dr. Web sucks. Don't buy Dr. Web.

Thank you.

14. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

In looking at the support page, it seems that inquires about licenses, how to order DrWeb, or problems with updates are processed through the new ticketed suport system that I and others have used with great success.
    On the other hand it appears, at least to me, that technical questions/problems are still being processed with the older system where a key file number and other information is required. This is easily seen by viewing the support submission forms on the respective links here: http://support.drweb.com/new/?lng=en

I could be wrong about this and maybe someone from DrWeb will stop by and either confirm or refute this.
    It is very discouraging when licensed users experiencing problems fail to recieve a response from technical support after several days. Even a quick "we are working on it" would be of some solace.
    In the mean time you could try the support forums: http://forum.drweb.com/?lng=en

15. bellgamin

I got a reply from DrWeb Tech Support to my second message. The Techie asked for my drweb32w.log file, which I just sent to him.

He stated that his reply to my first/original support request message must have been killed by my spam filters. Two points: (1) drweb.com is white-listed on my spam killer, (2) the Tech's second message reached me, so why didn't his first message I wonder?

Hmmmm... oh well, I'm just happy they are working on this issue. I do hope for a fix soon.

16. Firecat

I mean it can happen with OA AV+ because I suspect the KAV bases download might interfere with the Dr.Web bases download (maybe an updater program conflict).

@bellgamin: Its nice to see you got a reply. I hope you get the bugs fixed. :)

17. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

bellgamin;

I show at least 5 addresses for drweb (in my addy book), so check your mail and filters carefully as their stuff can come from varied places (i.e., the stuff after @ re mailings.

Their co. is bit erratic in replies, etc., in my exp. I now just have the good Dr. on F drive as secondary scanner, with updater shortcut for the app on the desktop, and use "another AV" as primary defense.

SG1 (Pat)

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Dr. Web support wasn't home for me when I needed it.That's why I ditched the program.

19. bellgamin

DRW has responded. The problem is fixed. I am soooo happy that my little green spider is back on the job.

Thanks to all for your concern, and for your helpful comments.

20. Krond

Krond Registered Member

And how is it fixed?

21. bellgamin

Not quite sure. I noticed in yesterday's drw update that a few non-signature files were modified. Also, when the errors were happening, I had "DwShield started" entries in drw's scan log. The techie said DwShield applies only to a beta version of drw. Now that the error is fixed, the "DwShield started" entries no longer appear in drw's scan log.

To convince DRW's tech guy that the issue was real & that I was NOT running a beta version, I had to send him a couple of drw's logs plus upload a shot of the error pop-up to one of my website pages at... THIS page.

I *assume* that the techie solved the problem & felt it unnecessary to advise me of that fact. If so, it's a strange way to do business. There was no animosity in our correspondence. In fact, our messages were quite friendly & chatty. In any event, something got fixed so -- I once again have a happy spider.

22. Firecat

I think DwShield = Dr.Web Shield, which means SpiderNT.exe, or SpiderGuard NT. So I'm guessing that SpiderNT related components were updated. ;)

23. Serge Popov

Serge Popov AV Expert

Dr.Web Shield is a brand new component. Its used by the scanner to disinfect malware when kernel-mode support in required. We can do less reboots now, and detect malware which tries to hide itself.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  24. Firecat

What is the EXE file for this? o_O

25. Krond

Krond Registered Member

DrWebScd.exe o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.