DrWeb Cureit Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tarq57, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Two issues. I recently re-installed XP home, kept all settings, patched etc. Works fine.
    I have the Cureit utility on a desktop folder, it used to function as intended, selecting "update" opened the download in Firefox and closed the application.
    Now all it does is close the application. Nothing is being blocked, cookie handling checked, appears nothing is trying to connect. (Comodo firewall; it has worked fine with this FW till now.)
    It can still scan no problem. I can go to the download website and download it manually no problem, needing only to delete the previous application before selecting the download location.
    Second issue, when attempting to pose a question on the DrWeb forum, I log on OK, but then opening a sub forum I get logged off. I cannot access a way to post there. Tried three times.Checked Firefox options three times.(Hence posting here.) I have posted in the DrWeb forum in the past.
    Any clues please?
    I'm stumped. (Wouldn't be the first time, mind.)

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

update will only update to the latest CureIt utility, this can be easily by-passed, go to http://www.freedrweb.com and download (this will be the latest version with latest definations)

Dr.Web forum issue, this is definatly your browser, definatly your settings for cookies, if you are sure its not your browser (which i think it is) maybe a program you run (security) might be blocking such cookies.

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

There aren't any other programs that I haven't already disabled during this troubleshoot.
    My browser connects to and logs on to all other sites (about 10 others tried, over twenty since the reinstall) without problem.
    Only possibility is the hosts file.
    Whenever this blocks something, I get "the page cannot be displayed". Not a forum log out.
    Since I only update about twice a week, there has always been a new version to update to. This is a problem with the updater, or it's permission to use Firefox, which I have granted.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

have you tried it with IE7?

the forum is working for me through IE7, sorry i cant help more but im puzzled if you think its not your browser settings or some cookie control program you may have.

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

The forum works for me in IE7 also. I have no idea why it won't in Firefox.
    I'll post my q about the updating there, too.

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Just remembered, have recently disabled some services via admin tools, as recommended by Blackviper.com.
    Could this have affected Firefox, or Cureit's relationship to it?

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i aint too sure about that, but if the forum works in IE7, it seems plainly down to Firefox for your problem.

8. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Hi Tarq57, I experienced the same thing, vis that after using cureits inbuilt update function about 4-5 times, it no longer worked. All default windows services are running on my machine, so I doubt that disabled services have anything to do with it. I think it's more likely to be drweb's way of saying,, "buy me already"

9. Serge Popov

Serge Popov AV Expert

Dr.Web CureIt is a free service, no hidden tricks. You can download it at http://www.freedrweb.com at any time.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hi argus tuft, was just about to reply when the new post arrived.
    Hi Serge Popov.
    I always thought that was the case, but had started wondering.
    I delete temp files in windows regularly. Does the update function rely on any temp files associated with the folder where the application is, in this case, the desktop?

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no tarq it doesnt ......

update is only 'a link' to download the latest CureIt...

this can be done anyway, at http://www.freedrweb.com

just use that link, whenever ive used it in the past, thats where ive gone, ive never used the update link within the program.

as serge said, its free, no gimmicks, no need to install, so no complaints, right? :D

have fun

12. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Absolutely not complaining. Very happy to have it.:D
    I'm just one of these people who likes things to work as they should. In the past I've disabled my system in the quest to find out "why?".o_O
    (Hence the recent re-install:oops: , which proved to be unnecessary anyway:ouch:

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, well from now on... http://www.freedrweb.com

must easier to get the latest version anyway, you wont be bothered with 'buy now' signs and symbols.

although you totally should get a licence for it and stop freeloading *lol* ;)

14. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Hi Serge, and thanks for the clarification.:D

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i thought i mentioned that in post #2, dont trust me eh? *lol* :D

charming.... o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.