DrWeb and BOClean conflict???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tony, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Hi, i`ve downloaded a trial of DrWeb.
    However as soon as i run spider guard then BOClean seems to lock up.
    BOClean normaly flashes every 10 seconds but when spider guard is loaded the green flash stays on and i cannot access Boclean or spider guards menu.

Both programs operate fine when run seperately with other programs.
    But as soon as one or the other program runs alongside then lock up.

Does anyone else use these two programs or trialled them in the past and had any conflicts.

Thanks. :)

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I do have BOClean but not DrWeb.

What is your Windows version (98, ME, 2000, XP, etc)?

Have a look at this page:
    http://www.nsclean.com/supboc.html

You will find there guidelines about the Excluder of BOClean.
    It will allow you to let BOClean exclude files from its scanning.
    This might well solve your problem by excluding files from DrWeb!

Note :
    This topic involves both an AV and an AT.
    Question in those circumstances is: what is the best place to put it on.
    I might suggest the AT-forum-section (but I'm not completely sure here); at least it might in the AT-section raise the attention of Nancy/Kevin.

3. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Good question. :) But for the moment I think I will let it stay here.

Coming back to the original question I would also recommend to put DrWeb/Spider files on the BOClean exclusion list to be on the safe site as DrWeb scans process memory as well.

wizard

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I gave Nancy/Kevin a jingle and they will find this thread..iyour problem has already come up before...but will let them address it..and as a Boclean user..it is easy to send em off an email for their suggestion.

5. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I was not sure where would be the best place so i thought i`d try here to start with.

I have tried that, putting spider guard and dr web in the exclusion list with the same results :(

And thanks for the replies :)

6. Kevin McAleavey

Kevin McAleavey Security Expert

Well ... there's one we haven't seen before. And halting at the "green" coloration which means that BOClean's getting stuffed as it's checking the registry entries rather than memory at that point.

Sounds to me as though Dr. Web is performing a "debug suspend process" and BOClean DEFINITELY doesn't like those - it considers it to be an attempt to kill BOClean, and thus it will defend itself by halting the interloper as well. That behavior is by design unfortunately, it assumes that whatever is attempting to suspend it is hostile. This in turn results in what is called "thread deadlock" which is better than allowing a nasty to pass. Unfortunately, the "nasty" is legit but apparently isn't doing the thread suspend gracefully, thus this odd result.

The concept of "excluding" is the correct solution, but excluding Dr Web in BOClean won't solve it because it is Dr Web that is apparently causing the problem. Simple solution though should do the trick - some folks using NOD32 have had similar problems in the past.

What you'll want to do is go into Dr Web's configurations and exclude BOCLEAN - the entire BOClean folder as well as reads and writes to BOC411.INI in your "Windows" folder. By telling Dr Web to leave these alone (BOClean can check itself for infiltration) by excluding these there, that should solve the problem hopefully.

And don't be shy about contacting support here - we actually DO care if it works. :)

7. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks Kevin :)

I have excluded the entire BOClean folder as suggested.
    But i cannot exclude the BOC411.ini as DrWeb AFAIK will only allow me to exclude folders and not files in spider guard.

I tried anyway with Just BOClean excluded but i still get the same results.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions then i guess i`ll have to give DrWeb a miss.

Thanks again anyway for the help.
    :)

8. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Hi, I use both dr.web and boclean with no problems, I have excluded the boclean folder in dr.web but not boc as you can not axclude just one file.

bibbe

9. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

10. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

I wonder if this issue has been resolved?

I am currently running DrWeb 4.31 and BOClean 4.11 with no excluded folders/files and no conflicts.

Win2000 Pro SP4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.