DropMyRights &/or Sandboxie

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bellgamin, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

(Q1) If I run my browser under DropMyRights, would there be any *significant* additional advantage to my ALSO running my browser within sandboxie?

(Q2) If your answer to Q1 is "Yes' then -- should I discontinue use of DMR & use SB instead?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes to 1. Reason is DMR will protect the system, but anything downloaded is still on the system. Sandboxie, isolates the files and then you can delete them

As to 2). I do use Sandboxie, and also use the Run Safer option in Online Armor for my browser.

Pete

3. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Q1
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?FrequentlyAskedQuestions#HowItWorks
    "How does Sandboxie protect me, technically?
    "It should be noted, however, that Sandboxie does not typically [by default] stop sandboxed programs from reading your sensitive data. However, by careful configuration of the ClosedFilePath and ClosedKeyPath settings, you can achieve this goal as well.

You can isolate internet-facing applications (e.g., browser1, browser2, email, etc.) inside their own sandbox; multiple sandboxes are supported.

You can open email attachments with applications (e.g., word processor) that are sandboxed.

"Sandboxie also takes measures to prevent programs executing inside the sandbox from hijacking non-sandboxed programs and using them as a vehicle to operate outside the sandbox. [This may be covered at least, in part, by your HIPS?]

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1848
    "Complete protection?
    While all of this sounds good, it [DropMyRights] can offer a false sense of security. Applications spawned from a browser with reduced privileges will inherit those reduced privileges, but privilege escalation is still always a possibility.

Low probability, but high impact.

Q2
    http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1848
    "Reducing browser privileges
    Least privilege
    It is important that administrators follow the rule of least privilege. This means that users should operate their computer with only the minimum set of privileges that they need to do their job.

4. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I tried the DMR + Sandboxie set up and it worked ok. I think it will give you a little better protection if you run it this way. Every little bit helps.

I decided to go with Defencewall though. I call it DMR on steroids with a few extra tricks thrown in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.