DropMyRights-- any problems anticipated?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask if I install DMRs on PCs of some very novice type of PC users who don,t understand anything about PC security, software installation etc, will it cause any loss of functionality for them especially using MS word documernts, IM messengers etc.

The reason I am asking it is that, many time I install free AV programs for some people who have no idea at all how to deal with the OS problems and security.They can,t even understand a simple pop up alert of an AV. I usually install Avast for them( install and forget type of application, easy update with dial up), FireFox, Opera and SiteAdvisor, though I see most of them using mainly IE.( Will be adding BOClean for them once it is vailable).

I have now started to install DMRs for the three browsers as I think it does not cause any loss of functionality for the browsers( correct me if I am wrong). But still I am not sure about using DMRs for MS office documents( word, power point etc), messenger clients and OutLook express. Will it cause any problems for them? Is it needed at all? What is your opinion?

Pls keep in mind that these people are very very primitive PC users. Don,t expect them even to undersand/ answer a simple virus alert from an AV or to regularly update and scan with an on-demand scanner. I want an absolute NO HEADACHE/ IDIOT PROOF type of security for them and I hope all this set up might be good for them.( Virtualization/ sandboxing is not an option here).

Thanks for the input.

2. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

DMR DOES reduce some of the security issues whilst running as admin.
    Although I cannot vouch for it's use w/ Office / Outlook, I do have my browser running under DMR (when not running sandboxed as usual).
    I just added the "C:\DropMyRights\DropMyRights.exe" prefix to desktop shortcut's target properties.
    It's silent/seamless. They'll never know it's there.
    I have found no problems/downsides running it (solely w/ browser).

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

there is one problem i just noticed while using IE7 in limited mode by using the run as limited user option in process explorer.
    you need to run IE as admin to get windows updates.
    lodore

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for replies.

@Ladore
    They have auto updates for OS.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you cant play games on windows live messenger when used with drop my rights. the game starts to load but then shows a red cross.
    i dont know if they will want to play games on Windows live messenger but they might.
    i was just testing out the programs for you
    lodore

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I believe you may find it a mixed bag. The reason being that way too many programs are written with the expectation of Admin rights. I do probably 95% to 98% of my surfing as a true Limited user and get along fine with IE, Opera or Firefox. But this is for basic surfing, not game playing, chat or IM.

While logged on as Limited, I can run Excel, Word and Powerpoint and things seem ok. But I notice that I get some kind of error in my Event Viewer log if I run something that takes .NET Framework 2.0 (it never crashes though.)

At work, I've tinkered with DMR a little. To this day, I run Outlook on my PC through DMR. But on another PC, I tried Outlook through DMR and it failed to run.

I guess what I'm saying is that based on my experience, the only way to know how things will work out is to try it... :)

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, I think I will just keep DMRs with browsers to avoid any troubles. That might be enough. They use only pop3 mail though.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks ladore!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.