Dropbox saga just to get access to a file that was sent to me...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tarnak, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

... and which was advised by e-mail to Yahoo! Mail account. Simple, No!

I first clicked on a link in the e-mail. This took me Dropbox, but then I was informed that I had to create a Dropbox account, which I did.

Then I got an e-mail from Dropbox to my Yahoo! Mail account - "Just one more step to complete your Dropbox setup" , which I opened and clicked on the radio button within. This was on my XP desktop!

Lo and behold, I was confronted with this:

ScreenShot_Dropbox_cannot download a file to XP.gif

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Tarnak

Believe me I held out on XP a long time, but the reality is more and more companies are dropping support for XP. I also agree I hate having to set up accounts and give emails just to get a file some one sends, but I have a dummy junk email for that.

4. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Hi Peter,

I would have preferred to have had it linked to a dummy account, but I had advised this person, that sent me this file via Dropbox, my true e-mail address. So, I had no option but to open an account with Dropbox using that address.

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

So, to continue this saga...I still haven't got access to the file, at this stage by the way. Luckily, I acquired a Surface Book... So , now I will logout of my XP system, and relogin, shortly in Surface Book. :)

6. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

So, I went back to Dropbox, earlier, with Surface Book... and followed instructions, which captures the situation with visuals.

ScreenShot_Dropbox_account needed to get access to a file_01.GIF ScreenShot_Dropbox_account needed to get access to a file_02.GIF ScreenShot_Dropbox_account needed to get access to a file_03.GIF ... ScreenShot_Dropbox_account needed to get access to a file_04.GIF

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

...continuing

ScreenShot_Dropbox_account needed to get access to a file_05.GIF ScreenShot_Dropbox_account needed to get access to a file_06.GIF ... ScreenShot_Dropbox_account needed to get access to a file_07.GIF ScreenShot_Dropbox_account needed to get access to a file_08.GIF

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

...and the last couple of screenshots. Now, I just have to locate that file that was sent to me, and download it. ;)

ScreenShot_Dropbox_account needed to get access to a file_09.GIF ScreenShot_Dropbox_account needed to get access to a file_10.GIF

9. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

When I send files to other people I use public links so that reciever doesn't have to install dropbox or open dropbox account to get it. Maybe you could ask sender for something similar?

10. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Yes, I could I suppose...But, I had asked for a link to his website several times, after doing a course a few months earlier. I had given up getting something, after going back to the business through which I had signed up to do the course. I have just downloaded the file. However, I now require PowerPoint viewer to access the content, but it seems Windows 10 Pro does not have the viewer program installed. So, I have no means to view the content. Unless, there is another program that will do the trick.

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I worked it out! :) I was logged into my Dropbox account, and I clicked on the file, and now it is viewable in the browser. See screenshots
    ScreenShot_Dropbox_worked out how to access content in browser_01.GIF ScreenShot_Dropbox_worked out how to access content in browser_02.GIF
    :

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.