Dropbox Is Dropping Support For All Linux File Systems Except Unencrypted Ext4

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by guest, Aug 11, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Dropbox Is Dropping Support For All Linux File Systems Except Unencrypted Ext4
    August 10, 2018
    https://linux.slashdot.org/story/18...ll-linux-file-systems-except-unencrypted-ext4

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Ext4 is popular. Many people still don't trust btrfs. Xfs doesn't seem to have clear advantages over ext4.
    I wonder whether ext4 encrypted using dm-crypt is really not supported, because dm-crypt transparently encrypts ext4 at the block-device level. I understand built-in ext4 encryption and eCryptfs can require some time from Dropbox developers company isn't willing to spend, but dm-crypt shouldn't be problematic.

3. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

One of the most popular Linux distros - Mint - has finally succumbed to automatic updates on the basis that users can have Timeshift automated and easily recover from disasters.

Timeshift is most effectively supported using Btrfs (I haven't had and issues with that and in any case, don't care much because of VMs and backup - I think it's now FUD that you can't trust it).

So, I think Dropbox are short-sighted here, or else complacent or complicit. I don't touch them with a bargepole other than on a vanilla reverting VM. It's a weird excuse that there's much difference in development effort, after all, major backup vendors hack it.

4. reasonablePrivacy

I agree. I just think that "Dropbox drops Linux support completely" is overstated.
    I'm not familiar with Timeshift in Mint. Does users can have /home on ext4 filesystem and everything else on btrfs?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Most Linux distros are still using EXT4 as their default file system. The only issue here is encryption. WTF does Dropbox hate encryption on local file system? Anyway I haven't used Dropbox since many years ago.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

So why would anyone who used LUKS want to use Dropbox?

7. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Timeshift is fine with either ext4 or btrfs, it's only the amount of data/reversion work that differs. But I haven't looked at its configuration where you have multiple different partitions.

8. reasonablePrivacy

Frankly, I don't remember when I installed Gnu/Linux on single filesystem/partition last time. One exception is cheap VPS, but OS was installed "by the cloud", so I didn't had control over it.

9. guest

guest Guest

Dropbox drops any file system but ext4 on Linux
    Come November 7, cloud storage and synchronization provider Dropbox will drop support for any file system on Linux but ext4.
    August 13, 2018
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/13/dropbox-drops-any-file-system-but-ext4-on-linux/

10. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Why would one use Drop Box in the first place? Just wondering...

11. reasonablePrivacy

https://ihaveabackup.net/article/use-dropbox-on-any-fs

12. guest

guest Guest

Dropbox Brings Back Support For ZFS, XFS, Btrfs And eCryptFS On Linux
    July 22, 2019
    https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/07/dropbox-brings-back-support-for-zfs-xfs.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.