drop in performance after avira personal 9.0.0.403

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bollity, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bollity

bollity Registered Member

Few days ago I began with a fresh image of windows with nothing running except regular windows services then installed the new avira personal, but i quickly notice a drop in performance and my computer become little sluggish and the mouse movement was little dull. i used "ShellExView v1.37" to disable the shell extension of avira and restarted my computer then the performance returned to what i'm used to before.
    Does anyone have this problem too?
    version 8 was very good i don't know why avira spoiled it like this.

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I dont notice it being any slower. What are your computer specs and what OS are you running?

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Me neither, but are you having some kind of firewall problem and typo'd the title or wrong forum by accident?

4. bollity

bollity Registered Member

sorry please administrator move this to antivirus forum

my pc is windows xp sp3 updated
    processor 3Ghz
    ram 1GB

5. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

I heard reports that the shell extension is buggy in v9. I tried it out, and on my Vista PC, I definitely noticed that Windows Explorer was slower. It even got to the point where it crashed, and I had to restart explorer.exe. Obviously this was not a good thing, so I just disabled the shell extension by unregistering the DLL:

regsvr32 /u "%ProgramFiles%\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\shlext.dll"

If you want it back, you can just re-register it:

regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\shlext.dll"

This method worked a bit better for me than simply disabling it (I also used ShellExView). Of course, if you rely on right-click scanning, then this might not be your solution :doubt: .

I'm running Vista SP2 32-bit.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think it's just another one of those cases of something that runs differently on different PCs. I have had no issues with the latest Avira Premium or Free on XP, Vista or 7.

7. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

many threads in avira forum including some by me about bugs in the new avira shell extension
    try to find them by search
    when u install avira with the shell extension , sometimes the windows explorer freezes with doind right click on a file to show the right click context menu

slolution , try to reinstall avira and untick the shell extention during install

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.