DriveSentry and Comodo Defense+

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rOadToIS, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

How effective is Comodo Defense+ compared to DriveSentry?
    Are there any differences between Defense+ and DriveSentry?

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

D+ is a HIPS, DriveSentry is a Behavior Blocker + an AV component. i prefer drivesentry because it is effective and at the same time, not annoying and compatible with most AV's.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

D+ is a "classic-type" of HIPS., DriveSentry is a "Behavior Blocker"-type of HIPS with an AV component. Since D+ works in tandem with Comodo Firewall Pro, an AV component is also included in that set-up unless you specifically exclude it.

DS is a bit less intrusive (hence, simpler to use) than D+. IMO, D+ & DS are approximately equal in protection.

4. 3xist

3xist Guest

There both as effective from what I have observed. In my opinion, If you're using D+ at "maximum" you don't need Drive Sentry. But what I don't know is if DriveSentry & D+ work well with each other. They are both light, So maybe some one else has a different opinion.

5. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I tried DS on my Vista notebook a while back ago and it went very slow. I'm sure I had a major conflict with AntiVir Premium and Online Armor already installed. :D Maybe a behavior blocker like TF makes more sense or more overkill!

6. 3xist

3xist Guest

Well, One thing I know is that Defense+ is superior to TF, But I'm not in a position to say D+ is superior to DriveSentry, it seems like a good, light, powerful program that's well respected.

7. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I tried Comodo in the past and I thought Defense+ was a little bit confusing and very chatty. I thought the previous version of Comodo was a refreshing change compared to a few firewalls. Anyways, I'm happy with my current firewall choice (OA paid).

I think DS works best as a standalone and not with another anti-virus/HIPS.

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

DS is a different kind of animal than D+. D+ can be compared to TF or other type of behavioral, classical hips but DS I think is more of a super AV plus. I had at one time, CPF with D+ and DS running perfectly on a Vista Home pc. The only issue I had with DS was that it had a memory leak. I think after 30days you have to manually update the database but its a good product overall.

Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.