DriveSentry and Comodo Defense+

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rOadToIS, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

How effective is Comodo Defense+ compared to DriveSentry?
    Are there any differences between Defense+ and DriveSentry?

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

D+ is a HIPS, DriveSentry is a Behavior Blocker + an AV component. i prefer drivesentry because it is effective and at the same time, not annoying and compatible with most AV's.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

D+ is a "classic-type" of HIPS., DriveSentry is a "Behavior Blocker"-type of HIPS with an AV component. Since D+ works in tandem with Comodo Firewall Pro, an AV component is also included in that set-up unless you specifically exclude it.

DS is a bit less intrusive (hence, simpler to use) than D+. IMO, D+ & DS are approximately equal in protection.

4. 3xist

3xist Guest

There both as effective from what I have observed. In my opinion, If you're using D+ at "maximum" you don't need Drive Sentry. But what I don't know is if DriveSentry & D+ work well with each other. They are both light, So maybe some one else has a different opinion.

5. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I tried DS on my Vista notebook a while back ago and it went very slow. I'm sure I had a major conflict with AntiVir Premium and Online Armor already installed. :D Maybe a behavior blocker like TF makes more sense or more overkill!

6. 3xist

3xist Guest

Well, One thing I know is that Defense+ is superior to TF, But I'm not in a position to say D+ is superior to DriveSentry, it seems like a good, light, powerful program that's well respected.

7. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I tried Comodo in the past and I thought Defense+ was a little bit confusing and very chatty. I thought the previous version of Comodo was a refreshing change compared to a few firewalls. Anyways, I'm happy with my current firewall choice (OA paid).

I think DS works best as a standalone and not with another anti-virus/HIPS.

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

DS is a different kind of animal than D+. D+ can be compared to TF or other type of behavioral, classical hips but DS I think is more of a super AV plus. I had at one time, CPF with D+ and DS running perfectly on a Vista Home pc. The only issue I had with DS was that it had a memory leak. I think after 30days you have to manually update the database but its a good product overall.

Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.