Driver Help For NVIDIA GeForce® 6150 And NVIDIA nForce® 430 Combo

Discussion in 'hardware' started by puff-m-d, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello everyone,

First a bit of background on my problem. My motherboard has NVIDIA GeForce® 6150 and NVIDIA nForce® 430 Combo on Win 8 Pro x64 OS. I am experiencing random BSOD's when a lot of direct disk access is issued in parallel by some programs that I have and then my nvstor64.sys driver causes a BSOD. It is not always reproducible but does occur both randomly and intermittently. When I try to update my nVidia nForce serial ATA storage controller via the device manager, I am told it is driver version 11.1.0.29 06/22/2009 published by nVidia and is up to date for my system.

I have been advised by a very knowledgeable person: "The best thing you can do, unless you need some of the NVIDIA driver specific features like software RAID, is to just go with the default Microsoft AHCI drivers. The NVIDIA chipset drivers are kind of infamous for their particularly poor execution. They tend to cause all kinds of trouble if put under pressure, like issuing a ton of disk access in parallel like some security programs do."

I am willing to try the default Microsoft AHCI drivers but since I am not to experienced in doing this (plus maybe a bit afraid if I screw up the changeover my system would be toast since it is dealing with storage), I would need some kind of instruction as how to do it and how to decide what driver to use. I am definitely afraid I would screw things up especially after doing some goggling on AHCI and Windows 8 about possible issues, registry hacks, BIOS settings, etc... It has been almost 4 years since NVidia updated this driver and they probably never will again.

So my question is this: Can anyone provide me good reliable instruction on removing the nVidia drivers and installing the default Microsoft AHCI drivers? I am at a loss of how to proceed and this issue is holding me back on being able to enjoy the full potential of some of my security software (mainly those that have intense direct disk access during scanning) without worrying about BSOD's or having to run the software in a compatible mode which greatly decreases detection rates.

Advice, knowledge, help, or anything else you can give me (well almost anything else :D ) will be greatly appreciated...

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Drivers offered via Windows Update are almost always outdated. I suggest you go to nVidia's download page here and it will do a scan and tell you if there is an updated driver you can download.

3. puff-m-d

Hello,

Thanks or the link. I only get checked for the GeForce (GPU) updates when I go there and am advised that I am up to date. I am more concerned with updates to the motherboard (storage controller drivers and updates for the nForce 430) since the driver causing the BSOD is nvstor64.sys. I have tried going to nVidia here and clicking on motherboards, but the scan does nothing. Manual search at nVidia comes up with nothing also. The best I can find out from nVidia's website, googgling, and checking for updates via device manager, is that my version 11.1.0.29 06/22/2009 published by nVidia and is up to date for my system. That is why from both expert advice and my own findings, that I believe I already have the latest nForce drivers installed and the reason to want to replace the current nvstor64.sys with the most recent default Microsoft AHCI drivers. My problem with this is I am not experienced in dealing with storage controller drivers and am seeking advice and knowledge as how to proceed.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Run the uninstaller for Nvidia's drivers and remove the chipset/storage driver. Then reboot, Windows should then just install its generic driver.

5. puff-m-d

Hello,

Thanks for that suggestion. I do not have any uninstall listed for nVidia products under Programs and Features nor could I find any uninstaller in any of the nVidia folders. I checked Device Manager for the storage controller and no roll backs are available for this driver. I decided to get brave and tried uninstalling the driver through Device Manager (showed 2 instances so uninstalled both). It seemed to go fine until reboot. On reboot, I get a BSOD with a invalid boot device error. I could find no way around this and had to restore an image in order to get my system to boot again. These are some of the same type of issues I find when I Google. I even tried a registry hack that I saw recommended several times but this did not work either. I checked BIOS but saw no specific settings for AHCI.
    No luck so far in trying to accomplish changing these drivers...

6. WSFuser

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers from NVIDIA then uninstalling? It should have an entry in Programs and Features.

7. puff-m-d

Hello,

These drivers were evidently installed when I installed Windows 8 Pro x64. I hate the nVidia site, their search function (at least for me) just brings up a lot of vague possibilities that you have to go through. I cannot find a download for my specific package. I can find XP, Vista, and & downloads, but nothing for my OS. Also from their search driver page, I cannot even find my versions of their product listed. I have used various combinations of the following information trying to search and find the correct up to date driver package installer:
    Computer Brand Name: HP-Pavilion FQ425AA-ABA a6655f
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional with Media Center (x64) Build 9200
    Processor: AMD Phenom 9150e (1800.0 MHz)
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION NARRA3 (nVidia nForce 6100-430)
    Memory: 8 GBytes ()
    Hard Drive: SAMSUNG HD642JJ (610,480 MBytes (640 GB))
    Chipset: nVidia nForce 6100-430
    Video Card: nVidia nForce 6150SE (6100-430) Video Adapter
    Video Chipset: nVidia nForce 6150SE (6100-430)
    The video/graphics is not a separate card, it is embedded into the motherboard, so all references to either chipset or video adapter refer back to 6100-430. That is why even though I am having problems with the chipset storage controller drivers, I have also referenced the video/graphics.
    Also note this machine shipped with Vista Home x64. A few months after I got it, Windows 7 came out and Hewlett Packard had driver updates for Windows 7. Hewlett Packard lists no driver updates for Windows 8 Pro x64, so their site is no help either.
    I just am having no luck finding the correct installer for my system.

8. WSFuser

I guess your driver is from Microsoft/Windows Update already; from your initial post I thought you had installed a driver from the NVIDIA website.

Unfortunately I cannot offer any more advice other than buying a standalone IDE/SATA controller for your PC.

9. puff-m-d

Hello,

I appreciate your help. You are correct. The current drivers came out back on 06/22/2009 and were evidently installed when I upgraded to Win 8. They have not updated since 06/22/2009 as far as I can find out. I did not do an upgrade install of Windows, I did a fresh installation of Windows 8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.