DriveCrypt PW lost, partially known

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by zambalek80, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zambalek80

zambalek80 Registered Member

Hi there everyone.

I have a tiny problem. I use DriveCrypt 4 and have an encrypted file (scramble.dcv) of which I forgot the password.
    Well, part of it that is. Does anyone know of a program I can use with DriveCrypt that tries to recover that? I am well aware that with version 4 they introduced a slow-down mechanism for brute-forcing the pw, but I can live with that.
    Anyways, what I hope to find but can't is a software that uses patterns. Where I can use a placeholder e.g. ? to represent a single character. So if I say for example ?e?? the pw has exactly 4 characters and the second one is an "e" for sure.

Hope you can help.

Cheers.

2. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

IMO you need to use some sort of brute force againts it.
    it will take not long since you know that the first password part is 4 letters ...
    maybe someone here can point for you on such tool (i Doubt :D )

cheers

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Want to roll your own wordlist generator? Here's a simple batchfile you can use that will assemble every combination of three lost characters, plus whatever known text you want to add.

1) Create a folder "C:\WordGen" (or locate it elsewhere and adjust the various pathnames to match)

2) Within C:\WordGen create a text file named "CharacterSet.txt"

3) Open "CharacterSet.txt" and input the characters that will be used to create the various password combinations, placing each character on a separate line, as follows (but first see the Note below):

a
    b
    c
    ...(and so on)
    x
    y
    z
    A
    B
    C
    ...(and so on)
    X
    Y
    Z
    ~
    !
    @
    #
    (...etc., as needed)

Add whatever other characters you feel are appropriate. To reduce the overall number of combinations to be tested, make sure you exclude any characters that you know weren't used in the password. (Note: for testing purposes I suggest you start out with only ABC123 [on separate lines, of course], and then add the rest of the characters after you've got things working properly.)

4) Copy the following lines into a blank text file (e.g. NotePad) and name it "GenerateWordlist.bat". (Don't copy the dashed lines):
    ------------------------------------------------
    @echo off
    for /f "delims=" %%i in (C:\WordGen\CharacterSet.txt) do (
    for /f "delims=" %%j in (C:\WordGen\CharacterSet.txt) do (
    for /f "delims=" %%k in (C:\WordGen\CharacterSet.txt) do (
    echo %%iKNOWN%%j%%k>>"C:\WordGen\WordList.txt"
    )
    )
    )
    -------------------------------------------------
    Important: the word "KNOWN" in the 5th line is merely a filler entry that represents whatever known characters might belong at that position in the password. Replace "KNOWN" with whatever you want, or remove it entirely, and/or insert your known characters at different locations (but don't put anything directly after %%). In your example you chose the letter "e" as the known second character, so that line would read as follows: echo %%ie%%j%%k>>"C:\WordGen\WordList.txt".

5) When you're ready, save "GenerateWordList.bat" and double-click it to run the batchfile and assemble your wordlist. If your character set consists of 0-9, a-z and A-Z then the batchfile will produce 238,328 potential passwords, so it'll take awhile. If you become impatient then you can stop it early (Ctrl+Break) to see how the wordlist was shaping up before you stopped the batchfile. Then delete the contents of the wordlist and run GenerateWordList.bat again.

If you need to edit the batchfile, right-click on GenerateWordList.bat and choose "Edit".

Once you have your wordlist assembled you can use it with a brute-forcer geared towards Drivecrypt, or possibly use a looping batchfile.

PS: Sorry, the spacing in the batchfile isn't showing up properly. The forum squeezed out all the extra spaces, but it'll still work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.