Drive Snapshot Differential Question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by napoleon1815, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I typically only do Full images, but was looking at how Differentials work with Drive Snapshot 1.40. When I image, I image 3 partitions. When I want to do a Differential, it looks like I will have to run three different Differential jobs, one for each partition. Is this correct? It doesn't appear I can do a Differental for all three partitions at once...thanks. I haven't been successfully finding anything on the website, but I am sure it's there somewhere.

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

napoleon,

Is the full backup of your 3 partitions contained in one sna file or three separate files?

Aaron

3. napoleon1815

Ah...three separate files. I think I see your point... Is there an option to make it one file if it's multiple partitions? Thanks.

4. Aaron Here

The truth be told, I'm not sure (as I only image my C-partition). Try the following method to see if it results in a single sna file (with a single hsh file).

After selecting Backup Disk to File...
    Hold down the control-key highlight each of your 3 partitions.
    Select the destination drive and directory.
    Give the destination file the name $DISK (I believe $DISK instructs DS that you are doing a multiple partition backup).

If that results in a single sna file with a single hsh file you will be able to create a single differential image, otherwise.... :doubt:

Aaron

5. napoleon1815

That's the way I have been doing it. The $DISK appends the drive letter to the backup name...so it creates one file called filenameC.sna, and another called filenameD.sna, etc. Not a big deal...more curious than anything else.

6. Aaron Here

Well then, you have your answer (and I learned something in the process)! ;)

7. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Use command line and batch for a quicker and automated process.

eg.

Backup partition c d and e to f drive - snapshot c:+d:+e: f:\$disk-drive.sna -l0

Take differential of c d and e - snapshot c:+d:+e: f:\$disk-drive.$type -hf:\$disk-drive.hsh

Throw the above differential command into a batch file eg. f:\dailydiff.bat

For daily scheduled backups using the above bat file. Run the below command once, change the time to suit. Works with Windows 7

schtasks /create /sc daily /tn “Daily Diff Backup” /tr “f:\dailydiff.bat” /st 02:00

Run taskschd.msc to check and delete scheduled tasks.

Nota Bene.
    Always run a cleaner before backup and differential backup usage, which will reduce image size and backup and restore times.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.