Drive Snapshot Differential Question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by napoleon1815, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I typically only do Full images, but was looking at how Differentials work with Drive Snapshot 1.40. When I image, I image 3 partitions. When I want to do a Differential, it looks like I will have to run three different Differential jobs, one for each partition. Is this correct? It doesn't appear I can do a Differental for all three partitions at once...thanks. I haven't been successfully finding anything on the website, but I am sure it's there somewhere.

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

napoleon,

Is the full backup of your 3 partitions contained in one sna file or three separate files?

Aaron

3. napoleon1815

Ah...three separate files. I think I see your point... Is there an option to make it one file if it's multiple partitions? Thanks.

4. Aaron Here

The truth be told, I'm not sure (as I only image my C-partition). Try the following method to see if it results in a single sna file (with a single hsh file).

After selecting Backup Disk to File...
    Hold down the control-key highlight each of your 3 partitions.
    Select the destination drive and directory.
    Give the destination file the name $DISK (I believe $DISK instructs DS that you are doing a multiple partition backup).

If that results in a single sna file with a single hsh file you will be able to create a single differential image, otherwise.... :doubt:

Aaron

5. napoleon1815

That's the way I have been doing it. The $DISK appends the drive letter to the backup name...so it creates one file called filenameC.sna, and another called filenameD.sna, etc. Not a big deal...more curious than anything else.

6. Aaron Here

Well then, you have your answer (and I learned something in the process)! ;)

7. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Use command line and batch for a quicker and automated process.

eg.

Backup partition c d and e to f drive - snapshot c:+d:+e: f:\$disk-drive.sna -l0

Take differential of c d and e - snapshot c:+d:+e: f:\$disk-drive.$type -hf:\$disk-drive.hsh

Throw the above differential command into a batch file eg. f:\dailydiff.bat

For daily scheduled backups using the above bat file. Run the below command once, change the time to suit. Works with Windows 7

schtasks /create /sc daily /tn “Daily Diff Backup” /tr “f:\dailydiff.bat” /st 02:00

Run taskschd.msc to check and delete scheduled tasks.

Nota Bene.
    Always run a cleaner before backup and differential backup usage, which will reduce image size and backup and restore times.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.