Drive Snapshot 1.38 silent update

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pdf, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdf

pdf Registered Member

Drive Snapshot gave been updated, now caries 14 march date.

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Wow thats uncanny. I was testing it just today with Vista and was going to report it back it not work fully with Vista but I will try this new version.

3. appster

appster Registered Member

First, thanks to pdf for the heads-up on the new (silent) update. But I just fail to understand why Tom, or any other software developer, does this (i.e., silently update their software) and in so doing, ignores the necessity of a corresponding change-log.

I'm a loyal DS user who loves this very small and extremely reliable program, but silent updates go against my grain and, in fact, are contrary to professional software development procedures.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  4. pdf

pdf Registered Member

I had really come to like DS in the last few weeks, i am just wondering to myself, since last "loud" update was back in March 07, if there is any active development done, what i am really missing is full partitioning support, more specifically, being able to restore a Vista system partition to a new drive with smaller partition size, without needing to restore partition table, run the boot fix or anything similar, in short, i want DS to be Ghost but supersede it with its inWindows functionality, would that be great?

5. appster

appster Registered Member

@pdf~ afaik, you can restore your DS image to a smaller partition (so long as the image-size is no larger than the size of the smaller partition). You should NOT restore the original partition's MBR & Partition Table when doing this. .....or am I off-base as far as what you want to do?

6. pdf

pdf Registered Member

As much as i get it this is only an issue for Vista signed partitions, other wise you need to fix the boot sector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.