Drive Size - Need Help Please!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Adoptivma, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adoptivma

Adoptivma Registered Member

I made an image from my old hard drive which took up about 19 GB, and restored the image on to my new 160 GB hard drive. Everything went smoothly (like this product alot), except it partitioned my new hard drive and now it says it's 30 GB (which was the size of my old hard drive). How can I fix this? Is there any way to resize the partition without formatting and restoring everything again? If I have to reformat and restore, how do I do that and end up with a 160 GB drive (only one main partition)o_O Please help!

2. fawny

fawny Registered Member

I suspect and only you can confirm this, when you made the image, it was a drive image and NOT a partition image. When it was restored, it was restored as a drive. This is why i suspect you are seeing only 30gb.

You can try this:

In xp go to Disk Management and see if there is any space that can be partitioned. If there is, you can partition the unused space and format as desired. That is the easy way if it works. Then all you have to do is format the partitions added. Then it will be ready to use.

If that is not possible, then reinstalling windows and using partitions is the only way I can think of at the moment. The C-drive would be set at 30gb. Other partition sizes can again be whatever you want, using the whole 160gb. Then the image can be restored to the C-drive partition. That is the hard way, but I think it will work.

Good Luck

3. Adoptivma

Adoptivma Registered Member

Is it possible to make a different (new) image that will not partition the drive that way, then reformat the hard drive, and restore the new image? If so, I need to know how to do that within the True Image program. Anybody?

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Adoptivma,

Fawny is right. If you image the whole source drive (necessary to make the new drive bootable), rather than a partition thereof, you don't get the option to resize during the restore and will be left with approx 130GB unallocated. You will need to use a partition manager such Acronis Disk Director Suite to expand into the unallocated space.

However, as you are fitting a new drive it would be much better to use TI's "Clone" function rather than imaging/restoring. You may wish to check out this <previous thread> and I would certainly recommend you read Chapter 7 of the True Image User's Guide before you start.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.