Drive Mappings in Bootable True Image All Wrong!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jminiman, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jminiman

jminiman Registered Member

All,

I must be missing something obvious. I just bought True Image 10 today and did a full system backup. Here is my drive layout (all physical disks except H):

C: Main/OS
    D: Program files
    E: CD-ROM
    F: CD-ROM
    G: Multimedia files
    H: Main swap file (part of same physical drive as D)
    I: Detachable, USB 2.0 drive where I stored my backup image

When I pop in the bootable CD, I see my drives detected as:

C: Main/OS
    D: Main swap file
    E: Program Files
    F: Multimedia
    G: Detachable, USB 2.0 drive where I stored my backup image

If I try, for example, to restore a file that was sitting on G: to its original location, the restore process just hangs. So if I have a complete computer melt-down, how am I to do a proper restore if each file needs to be restored to a different location? Is restore going to require hours of manual intervention?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I assume you have True Image 9, Ghost is at version 10 I think.

Anyway, the bootable CD uses Linux which uses a different method for assigning drive letters than Windows does. Just use the letter Linux uses when in Linux. Most people put meaningful volume labels on their disks and partitions so they can see what they are dealing with regardless of the drive letters. (Good idea even if you stay in Windows.)

3. jminiman

jminiman Registered Member

Sorry, yes. I'm on True Image 9. But I only use XP. So in XP I'm seeing different drive letters than when I boot using the CD-ROM. So, during recovery, when I open my image (which has backups of those four disks), can I specify a different mapping for each disk? In other words, can I say:

C: -> C:
    D: -> E:
    G: -> H:

?

Or, must I restore each disk within the image separately?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

When you restore your image via the restore wizard it will ask you which partition in the image you want to restore and then it will ask which partition on the disk do you want to restore it to. Select the partition to restore. You will then be asked some other questions after which it will ask you if you wish to also restore another partition. I assume it will go back and ask you to select it, where to restore it to etc. I only backup and restore one partition at a time so I am not certain of the mechanics of the multiple partition restore.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jminiman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that, as seekforever mentioned, Acronis Bootable Rescue CD contains a Linux kernel and can display drive letters different from those you see in Windows because Linux has its own rules of drive naming. So, we may recommend you to name your drives in order to avoid confusion.

When you restoring the image you will be able to select the a disk/partition to restore and a target disk/partition. You can restore data to their initial location, to another disk/partition or to an unallocated space. Please find additional information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  6. SamG

SamG Registered Member

Aleksandr, I am new to True Image and I have a related problem.

I backed up some directories from my WinXP D: drive using the Rescue CD. LINUX thinks it is "E:".

Now, when I'm in WIN XP using TI10 and try to restore that image and specify "original location" it tried to restore to the "E:" drive in Windows and I get an error because the "E:" drive is a CDROM.

If on the other hand I tell it to restore to a "New location" and pick my Windows "D:" drive, it does not restore to the proper directories. Instead it creates a new directory called "D:\Drive(E) and restores the image there with all the correct paths. However, they don't belong in that newly assigned location.

Is the restore program behaving badly or must I use Windows XP and rename my "D:" drive to "E:" just so that it will match the LINUX drive letter. I'd hate to have to do that.

Can you or someone else reading this tell me if this is the way it's supposed to work?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.