drive image 8.0 error message...image corrupted

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GAVMANN, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GAVMANN

GAVMANN Registered Member

NEED HELP WITH TRUE IMAGE 8.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings
    After getting burned badly by a windows backup failing years ago I have avoided any backup software.
    My 2 yr old compaq workstation window 2000pro os however has developed an issue and I am told i'll need to reformat and restore my harddrive, which in effect would wipeout three weeks of work. The tech advised me to buy drive image software, to save my hardrive image before doing restore. After reading reviews, I purchased and installed True Image 8.0. In getting ready to do the restore, I created a 48 gig Secure Zone on a 160 gig usb 2.0 external harddrive and created a drive image (uncompressed, as that was the issue i had before with windows back up!) the drive image was 37 gig.
    In being extra carefull i decided to run the "check image" tool, which by the way the manuel never discusses the toolbar and what each tool does, After running about 2 hrs /5 green slash marks worth a message came up to say drive image was corrupted!!! and window closed.
    What does this mean? and where do i go from here? I have found no forum listings addressing this error message. The only thing i found online was the software update which I'm pressently downloading...please help. I really need to get this done in order to get back to work. Thanks in advance
    gavmann

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You have discovered that huge files can create problems for any file system, but the problems occur more frequently with USB 2 external drives.

Some additional information would be helpful. What brand/model of USB 2 external drive did you buy? What sort of data do you have that is taking up the majority of the 37GB (documents, photos, video, music...)? How is the external USB 2 drive formatted?

First, there is no need to create a secure zone on the USB drive. The main reason for the secure zone is to provide people with only one partition on their main drive a place to store backups. So, the first thing I'd do is remove the Secure Zone.

You didn't say whether the USB drive was formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. If it is an NTFS drive, you have created one 37GB file. If the drive is FAT32, you will have 10 pieces, 9 which are 4GB (the FAT32 file size limit) and a last one that is about 1GB.

Do two things after removing the Secure Zone. When creating the new image, use Normal compression to reduce the size of the file, and split the image at 2GB or less.

Check the new image and let us know what you have found.

3. GAVMANN

GAVMANN Registered Member

Thank you for your prompt reply! I'm in a bit of desperate situation. The usb drive is a Buffalo 160 gb, came ready in fat 32. The c drive is the ntfs.The majority of the drive is simply os software, lots of graphics adobe, and related software, dvd and cd software, etc I use an internal slave drive for job storage duing work and then move to the usb drive for storage. the files are mostly camera raw files and processed retouched images, each job ends up being around 12 gigs with all the related files. My issiues according to my tech support is either the windows memory module has gotten corrupted, or the drive is failing. Thus my urgency to save a drive image, with all my software, updates, windows service packs, and images in progress, before i try to restore the drive, which they tell me will resolve my issues or fail and need to be replaced.
    If I understand you , I need to elimate the secure zone, and then redo the drive image? The only reason I didn't use any compression was my history if a compressed windows backup that was corrupted and unrestorable, according to them because it was compresed...a hard lesson at that time. I'm glad to follow what ever instructions you may have to get me rolling. I've lost today with this issue. I'll assume the instructions on how to remove the secure zone is in the pdf? any further advice is greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!
    Gavmann

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello GAVMANN,

Use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard to remove the Secure Zone.

As well as the sound advice provided by jmk94903, it would also be worth while checking out your RAM before creating another image. Have a read of this previous thread titled <Memory Problem>, which contains a link to the Memtest86+ utility. Download either the floppy disk version or the CD ISO and run the program for a couple of hours. If your RAM is o.k. there should be zero errors flagged up.

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GAVMANN,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I have already sent you a private message, since you have not provided the link to this thread in the message you sent us.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.