Drive Copy issues

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by Bazzek, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazzek

Bazzek Registered Member

I downloaded Drive Copy 9.5 personal last week from GotD and like the program. I do have a few issues with it that both confuse me and annoy me.

1: Every time i start a disk image or virtualisation i get a message that some part of Paragon Drive Copy crashed. After this error the program continues as expected.

It is unclear what is crashing and what the issue is, but i do have to wait 5 minutes to click away the message before it will continue.

2: Drive Copy tries to use Windows VSS but always fails at doing so (Vista x64 here).

3: Using the option migrate to Virtual machine is EXTREMELY slow. Making a compressed image of the disk takes 5 hours, making a VMWare disk takes well over 25 hours.

4: Estimated time is completely rubbish. During a Migration to a vdisk it starts with 1 or 2 hours, keeps this level and then starts falling towards 0... it then reaches zero and starts counting down from 20+ again.
    I am doing a single partition, so it is not 2 partitions on a disk.

I hope someone can tell me how to prevent problem 1, explain what i do wrong with 2, help me speed up problem 3 and how to fix problem 4.

Besides these issues Drive Copy 9.5 personal does what it advertises and does it well.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Bazzek,

1. What exact part is craching?
    2. Run Drive Copy in Full Scale, go to Tools - Settings - Hot Processing options and change Volume shadow copy to Paragon Hot Processing.
    Save changes. VSS failed will not be shown any more.
    3. What is HDD size? What data amount is there?
    4. Time is re-calculating time to time, as always in Paragon products.
    Could you please check at what stage it reaches zero and then starts all over?

3. Bazzek

Bazzek Registered Member

1: see attached screenshot
    2: Okay, thanks
    3: Original size is 232GB, about 171gb is used. The USB disk that receives the vdisk file has a throughput of around 15MB/sec
    4: I can't say it does so in a specific point. Last time i let it run for 7 hours and after 5 and a half it reached zero. This was on a single partition, so it wasn't when it switched to another partition or something.

Attached Files:

4. Mech_An

1. The error appears because of the same reason as "VSS failes": Volume Shadow Copy service can not be started.
    What Windows version do you use?
    3. It's normal time for such data amount and size, because creation of Virtual Disk is not very quick operation in general.
    4. There is not any workaround for this issue.

5. Bazzek

Bazzek Registered Member

1: I use Windows Vista x64
    3: okay, thanks, i guess that the "remaining time" not flowing correctly gave me the wrong feeling. Will do a full run this weekend :)
    4: okay, at least i know :)

6. Mech_An

about VSS error:
    1. Right click on My Computer icon and select Manage
    2. Select 'Services and Applications' - 'Services' in tree-view on the left.
    3. Find 'Volume Shadow Copy' service in the list and double-click it to open the service properties
    4. Click the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.
    5. Log On - Log on As = Local System and 'Allow service to interact with desktop' is checked.
    6. Under Service status, click Start if service is stopped OR click Stop first and then Start if service is running.
    7. Click OK.

Check if APPCRASH still appears.

7. Bazzek

Bazzek Registered Member

Mech_An, i will test the VSS sollution later on (as i am doing a quite large copy at the moment)

Something else i noticed this weekend when i let the program rip for well over 24 hours (well over 36 even) is that the timer that counts up resets after 24 hour. As a result the total time busy was just under 13 hours at the end as opposed to the actual almost 38 hours.

It seems that this version has a time counter that is capped :)

8. Bazzek

Bazzek Registered Member

When i turn VSS back on as option, i get the attached message as result

Attached Files:

9. Bazzek

Bazzek Registered Member

It seems VSS is just causing pain while the Paragon Hot processing system seems to work just fine (says something (good) about the paragon system if you ask me)

10. Bazzek

Bazzek Registered Member

These are my settings btw

Attached Files:

11. Mech_An

Change settings as follows:
    Hot Processing Options.JPG

Did you change VSS service settings? Is it running all the time?

12. Bazzek

Bazzek Registered Member

Yes i changed the VSS settings, all i missed was a checkmark at 'Allow service to interact with desktop'.

The settings for Derive Copy as in your last post let me make a copy just fine, even if i tell it to always use the hot processing. Mind you, i already noticed that the Paragon Hot Processing thing works way better for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.