Drive configuration - Is this right?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by philby, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello Coldmoon

I have RVS 2010 free on a clean Win7 install.

I have set the System Safe slider in Preferences to 0% (thinking this will force 100% memory caching, which is how I ran RVS V2) and I have not created a VP.

I have just noticed that my system drive, which should be 'C' at 150GB has now halved in size and is replicated file for file with a new clone 'Z'.

drives.PNG

Should this really be happening?

Thanks in advance

philby

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

You need to increase your cache size to at least twice your total RAM with 16 GB being a recommended floor. Setting the slider to 0 means no cache at all...

Mike

3. philby

philby Registered Member

OK, I thought the slider was about how much disk caching to use relative to memory caching - my misunderstanding.

I've driven the slider up to 15% and rebooted but I've still got the same weird duplication except that now I've added a couple of small apps., 'C' is slightly smaller while 'Z' is still the same.

This is with save rather than drop changes + start with windows, by the way.

philby

4. Coldmoon

Try restarting your computer and let me know the results.

Mike

5. philby

philby Registered Member

OK, after rebooting several times, the problem persisted with phantom 'Z' staying the same and 'C' shrinking as programs were added (RVS set to save changes).

I've now done a reformat/install (Win7 64) with 'C' at 200GB and 'E' at 265GB.

I've assigned 25% of free space to the VS and have not created a VP.

RVS starts up with Windows.

Everything's OK until I enable System Safe - then I get a new drive 'Z' like this:

Capture.PNG

Strange...

philby

6. philby

philby Registered Member

Mike, I still have the problem as pictured above but have since tried two more things using the same RVS settings (AV off, no VP, 25% free space for sys/safe, trust only real disk):

1. I installed RVS on another machine in a VM running XP Pro 32bit sp3 with only 'C' - problem wasn't replicated with only 'C' showing in Explorer :)
    2. I rolled back the original 'problem' laptop from custom Win7 install to its original OEM Vista 64bit (with 'C' and 'E') and the same extra-drive ('Z') problem occurred with the above RVS set up o_O
    I've now reinstalled Win7 64bit on the laptop (Toshiba U500 10Z) and I'm back to square one with the disk config. pictured above.

Disk Management shows only 'C' + 'E', as it should.
    MSinfo32.exe shows 'C', 'E' plus the phantom 'Z'....

The only other s/w on board is Prevx 3 and none of the Toshiba utils. have been installed.

Could this be a 64bit thing?

philby

7. Coldmoon

Don't worry about the extra drive showing and yes, it is a consequence of 64 bit. What you are seeing in the real drive as opposed to the virtual drive only you see in 32 bit. This display will be corrected in a later build.

Mike

8. philby

philby Registered Member

Alright Mike, glad to know there's no ghost in the machine.

Apart from the phantom 'Z', RVS is working very smoothly.

Also, I do like the new AE function that I was sceptical about initially in an earlier post to you.

Thanks for your help.

philby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.