Drive Backup 9 Pro - Operation Failed Message

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by kcaegis45, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcaegis45

kcaegis45 Registered Member

I am using Brive Backup 9 Pro. Last year, I rec'd it free and was able to make an image of my hard drive. Yesterday, I got the THINKPOINT virus. I used the recovery and was able to reload my image from last year and everything is working fine now. Thanks Paragon. I updated all my programs and I wanted to make a new image of my hard drive. I ran the Back Up Disk or Partition program. It says it is 18GB and I tried to install it to my external drive. It says it will take 32 mins to create. After 30 mins (2+ mins remaining), I get an OPERATION FAILED message - VSS: Can't read volume data, Error Source: Hard Drive Manager, Error Code: 0 x 12016. I tried it several times and I get the same message. Can someone please help. Thanks.

PS - I am running XP sp3 on Thinkpad T41

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Try running windows checkdisk on the drive, before making the backup image.

3. kcaegis45

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried the windows checkdisk and defragmenting. Still getting the same failed and error message. SIW2 ..... Anyone ... Paragon moderator Help.......

4. kcaegis45

I thought I ran the checkdisk but I didn't.
    I'm running it now and so far it found one bad cluster.
    Hopefully, that was the problem.

5. kcaegis45

It didnt work. Im still getting the Fail message.
    any other suggestions anyone? Help

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  6. kcaegis45

just rec'd a reply from Paragon-
    "such error may come up if the disk has bad blocks. I recommend you checking it with its vendors tools. We have an article in our Knowledge Base referring to this problem: http://kb.paragon-software.com/paragon/include/templ/object2.jsp?objId=4879 Please follow steps provided there. After that please try to create backup from Paragon Recovery CD. ______________________ With best regards, Anastasia Fedorova Support Engineer Paragon Software Group"

Knowledge base link says-
    "You need to check the HDD surface for bad blocks using its manufacturer's utilities. Please note that neither chkdsk nor scandisk are able to fix hardware errors, so you should check your hard disk using exactly its manufacturer's utilities. Find tools for disk check here: HDD check tools list - http://kb.paragon-software.com/paragon/include/templ/object2.jsp?objId=3273"

So ultimately, I need to do a DRIVE FITNESS TEST - using dft32-v4.16 because I have a hitachi/IBM HDD and fix the bad blocks on my HDD.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem

7. kcaegis45

It worked. Used the DFT program to analyze the HDD and it found sector problems. I used the DFT erase disk program to correct the problem and then used Paragon restore image, then updated all software. Then I created a backup. Now it did not have a problem creating the backup image. :)

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thanks for the update.

It seems Paragon gave an early warning of drive problem - manufacturer tool fixed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.