Drive Backup 9 Diff. Backups slower then full

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by noons, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noons

noons Registered Member

Just purchased Drive Backup 9 Personal and I am pretty happy with it except for one major thing. I took a full image of my C: to a network share which took a total of 10 min. The speed of the backup was excellent taking the same amount of time Acronis would. I then added a few folders accounting for no more then 500 megs and took a differential backup. The backup took 30 min o_O .... What is the purpose of having a differential backup if the speed is that much slower then a full backup. Is this a bug or a performance issue?

Also the program offers an incremental file backup that will work with the full image. Will this type of backup cover things like system registry and system changes or is it only data??

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Noons,

I'm glad to hear your initial backup over the network was snappy. Regarding the slower differential backups, the snag here is of course not the writing or transfer process but the comparison scanning the software goes through to identify what data has been changed. On happier news, Drive Backup 10 will address this issue within the month or so.

If space is not an issue for you, I would perform regular complete backups and uncheck "generate unique names".

Tommy

3. noons

noons Registered Member

Glad to hear. Since I just purchased this software yesterday will this be a free updateo_O

4. noons

noons Registered Member

Odd... I changed the mode from microsoft vss to paragon hot copy and the backup time went from 30 min to 10 min for a differential backup. Is there a disadvantage for using paragon hot copy over microsoft vss? Why isnt this the default option?

5. Paragon_Cisco

Paragon_Cisco Paragon Moderator

The main differences between the two hot processing technologies are VSS are noticed more with computers with multiple partitions.

VSS can take a snapshot of the entire system (all partitions) at once then backup from that snapshot. Paragon Hot Processing can only take a snapshot of one partition at a time.

When you have databases such as SQL are on a different partition than the logs and program directory, where the restore of the backup needs be synchronized, VSS should be considered first. Paragon Hot Processing can be used but, the service(s) controlling the database will need to be temporarily stopped, which can be automated with the “Run During Backup” options. This setting is available in Drive Backup 9 professional and higher.

Most backup programs rely on VSS to do a "Hot Backup" and do not have an alternative.

If Drive Backup 10 is released within 30 days of your purchase then you do get a free update. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.