Drive Backup 9 Compression Settings

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Brent Hutto, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Registered Member

If I'm making an image of the entire disk on my laptop and storing the archive on a NAS device via wireless networking, doesn't it make sense to set the compression to the "slowest" aka most compressed setting?

I think the idea that more compression is slower is based on writing to a fast, local hard drive where the CPU doing the compression is the bottleneck. I don't see but about 29% CPU usage on the laptop, probably because the wireless link (it's the "g" not "n" wireless protocol) is such low bandwidth the compression can be easily kept up with.

I haven't done it both ways but a 50GB-ish backup in a little over an hour and a half seems pretty fast.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Right. It all depends where the bottle neck is. Either the program is packaging faster than it can send, or it's waiting for the packaging while the connection is idle.

With wireless, utilizing best compression is the most efficient way.

In addition, to obtain even better than "best compression", locate your layout.ini file in Paragon folder, and change best compression value from 2 to 9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.