Drive Backup 10 Professional - VSS stopped after installing Office 2010 Professional

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by cincinnatijack, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

I am running the Drive Backup 10 Professional on W7 64 bit machine, after installing Microsoft Office 2010 the cyclic backup script stopped at the VSS point. I uninstalled the program and made a fresh install without any help.

Changing the hot processing options to Paragon hot processing and generating new cyclic script fix the backup problem.

Is there a way to fix the VSS service or should I use the Paragon hot processing and what is the advantage of using VSS service.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

VSS will snapshot the whole drive in one go. Hot backup snaps each partition separately.

They both do the job.

You might want to fix the VSS error.

Any error messages ? Any trouble making restore points?

3. cincinnatijack

I don't know how to fix the VSS, I did a test backup on a file and received the following fault:

Faulting application name: plauncher_s.exe, version: 10.0.10.10505, time stamp: 0x4b041c36
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b802
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6df2
    Faulting process id: 0xd50
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb1bd7dbaeda37
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software\Drive Backup 10 Professional Edition\program\plauncher_s.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: b23643c8-87cb-11df-882f-0030670bf6a6

I don't know if this helps.

4. cincinnatijack

Running a backup again I received the generic "Ox11112 (VSS Specific Error)" and after waiting for the standard 3 tries the program shifted to the "Paragon Hot Process" to complete the backup.
    I am running W7 64 bit with Emsisoft Anti-Malware AV program, no other program is running in the background, in the event viewer I received the same report as listed above plus the report listed below (I can't find the file listed in the report):

Fault bucket 18552543, type 4
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 890131958

Problem signature:
    P1: plauncher_s.exe
    P2: 10.0.10.10505
    P3: 4b041c36
    P4: StackHash_61e3
    P5: 6.1.7600.16559
    P6: 4ba9b802
    P7: c0000374
    P8: 00000000000c6df2
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD603.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
    C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Local\Temp\WER16CB.tmp.appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1AE1.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_plauncher_s.exe_30547148d6f61bff6f2d1e1610d6a4d6c71caf_cab_0d013e76

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 581437b5-87e8-11df-90d3-0030670bf6a6
    Report Status: 8

5. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

I know this isn't much help, but, FYI, I, too, use DBU 10 pro, recently installed O2010.

Also run Win7x64 Pro.

Have not experienced any VSS problems. Was a seamless transition for me.

What version of O2010? I loaded Pro, which includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Publisher and OneNote.

Does your Office installation include additional components than the ones I installed?. Maybe that will help identify the/a culprit.

Not that it's convenient, what if you uninstall Office? Does the issue go away? If so, install Office, and uninstall one off its components at a time and see which one causes it....

Also, tried a registry cleaner? I use TweakNow (free) and have had good luck fixing wierdness with it. Not necessarily the wierdness you are describing, but.....o_O

Just trying to help....

BTW, you ARE logged on as an admin, and run DBU as an admin, correct?

6. cincinnatijack

I installed all the components of Microsoft Office Professional 2010, I notice this problem after the installation, it could have happened before installation of o2010 because this problem is intermediate, one time out of three will run OK, all runes with VSS will have a very long delay of about 2 to 3 minutes before the VSS function start, successful and not successful.
    Checking the VSS service confirm the the service is running when DBU 10 pro is running.

How can I find if some program in the background is using the VSS service.

7. GrumpyAeroGuy

I am NOT an expert on VSS by any means, but any other backup program may use it.

You don't have another BU program, such as Acronis, installed as well, do you? I remeber reading some other posts a while back where this causes issues....

Maybe this will shed some light on VSS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785914(WS.10).aspx

What about restore points? Got them disabled? Seems logical that restore points could interfere as well, though I am not sure.

8. cincinnatijack

I fixed the problem, installing Microsoft Office 2010 activated the system restore point on drive C without notifying me, I keep the system protection (restore point) off on all drives.

Turning the restore point protection on drive C off fixed the VSS error 0x11112 problem and all is working fine.

Paragon should check for this condition and take it into account when running a backup script.

9. GrumpyAeroGuy

ah-HA.... so it was the system restore after all. So... eventhough you had it off, Office did a restore point and turned it on....... interesting........(and kind of rediculous IMHO...)

wow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.