Dragon Naturally Speaking anyone here use it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Dragon Naturally Speaking anyone here use it?

Course the adverts sound great. Any Wilders using/used it & how'd you rate it?

Or is there something better?

I strongly dislike typing & I'd like a replacement solution. This'd be on a Win 7 x64 pc. Also anything work well on Linux?

Thanks & linky winky.

http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm

2. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I used it for awhile back in my Windows XP days. For dictation it's supposed to be the best. For voice commands only I eventually found a lighter solution with faster response time, Say-Now, which used Windows XP built-in speech recognition, though I don't know if it's even around anymore. In the end I gave up on voice commands/dictation completely because I found typing and keyboard shortcuts to be faster and because you need a really quiet environment for speech recognition to work whereas I often have the radio or some other stuff going on in the background.

That said, if you really want to try voice commands and dictation then Dragon NaturallySpeaking is considered the gold standard, however, before you spend money on it give Windows speech recognition a go as it's free and already available on most systems.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Awesome. Just the experience and helpfulness asked for.

But keep 'em coming more comments welcome.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

My boss uses it and loves it. I've never tried it myself, but from what I had seen it works very well.

5. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Dredging up an old thread. I've recently begun using Dragon just out of curiosity. The price was right.

I'd been playing with Microsoft speech recognition, going through all the various training scenarios, on both Vista and Win 7. Dragon was more accurate by far right out of the box. After running the training, it is amazingly accurate as long as I speak in an even, modulated voice.

The downside is, on both machines, vista with 2 G ram and 7 with 4 G, it's painfully slow, and the vista machine has only a Pentium 4 processor.

This post was written using Dragon in a Google chrome.

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

About 10 years ago, I ran into a speech recognition program that could be configured to execute any command that you wanted. It was fairly small and had to be trained to your voice. At the time, it was free but I can't remember the name. It was a short, odd name. It ran on all versions of Windows at the time, 98 thru XP. At the time, I didn't see much use for it. Now I can see some interesting uses. Anyone remember some of the earlier apps for this?

7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I bought Dragon from the TV ad, figuring it would be another toy, but not much else. The more I use it, the more I'm liking it. I haven't gotten into using it to open programs yet - still learning the commands and I'm taking them a step at a time, since there are a lot of them. Some I may never use.

I can see though that I'm going to have to add more RAM. I think it will help even with my old Dell Dimension 3000 desktop with the pentium 4 processor.

I'm not familiar with the old speech program noone_particular mentioned or many others except the MS programs, none of which measure up to Dragon.

8. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Probably Shoot: http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/

More: Enzyme, KM Remote (doesn't require SAPI)

9. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Those names don't ring a bell. If I'm remembering right, the name was very short, similar to A².

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.