Dr. Web updates

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bunkhouse Buck, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I notice Dr. Web has not updated virus signatures for a few days. Last was 368569 on 4/30.

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Don't forget first of May is a major holiday in Russia.:D

3. Bunkhouse Buck

True, but malware does not observe holidays. I use Dr. Web (and others at times) and with the program's decent heuristics, users should be protected.

4. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

It's a major holiday here in Greece too. Unfortunately that's the way it is, nothing works or moves that day :)

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It should be with the release of the new Kaspersky Suite.;)

Buck, Dr. Web has hueristics and also if something was needed I am sure they have staff that could push out a update.You are better protected with Dr Web and 3 day old sigs then some up to date ones.:cautious:

6. Bunkhouse Buck

The lack of updates was not meant as a criticism- just stating facts. :)

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep that's what heuristics are for,

Nobody should be on their computer anyway, its our bank holiday weekend too, I'm planning on getting ****ed off
    my face :)

I'm sure there are skeleton staff still there if there is an outbreak of something :)

Some avs have weekly updates, (if that) how do they manage?

Yes it is a fact bunk, but no need to worry :)

8. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Kaspersky is also in Russia, they came up with an update on May 1. I find it amazing in the current world that security companies, like av-industries, don't bring out updates during weekends or holidays. I saw it happen often with Eset, also with Avira and Symantec, and I fear that more companies can be added. It's dangerous, whatever heuristics programs may have. The buyers of the software rely on the programs. And please: understand that not all pc users are on Wilders. The mass is ignorent, they buy the proggie and assume they are safe.

9. risl

risl Registered Member

Remember that they pushed over 1000 signatures update before the holidays.

10. Bunkhouse Buck

11. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

Good point Edwin024.

That ought to be a valid point regardless of what favorite AV you have.

12. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Perhaps they had gone in the football match between Zenit Saint Petersburg and Bayern Muenchen :D

4-0 just for the record.

13. risl

risl Registered Member

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It's a pity to think that having new updates every two-three hours is definitely safer than a program which updates 3 times per day (for e.g.) . A vendor can release update once per week but it cathes all the nasties , it is enough . No matter that Kaspersky added Proactive modules and improved heuristics , they are still rely mostly on signature , whereas ESET rely more on heuristics. AVIRA scores good on heuristics , too . Different strategies to fight malware - they work differently and do work .

If you complain DrWeb didn't release an update , can you stand up and say you got infected and lost data because of this ? No , you can't.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2008
  15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

to survive in the fight against malware you really need hourly signiture updates with decent heristics and some sort of HIPS module.

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Can you prove it :rolleyes:

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well i ment a combonation of all the things listed
    you need a decent amount of signiture updates along with decent heristics and HIPS module t

18. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Wrong. Both Avira and the new Kaspersky beta have excellent heuristics; the only reason you rarely see those heuristics in action is because they are ALSO very swift in adding signatures. On the other hand, ESET relies on heuristics most of the time, because it's SLOW in adding signatures. You don't judge the effectiveness of a heuristics engine by the number of times it triggers.

Yep, and some work better than others.

19. ASpace

ASpace Guest

A vendor can adjust heuristic rules so that 99.99 % of the malware is detected . But this is not done because it will also slow down the machine and will generate false positive . But YES , with 99.99 we will for sure survive the fight against malware and hackers.
    With 99.99% of the malware caught proactively , will we need new signature update every hour -> NO. Will we even need new signature update every week -> NO . Because hackers will need some more time to bypass these 99.99%.

With 60 - 70% of malware caught proactively , no hourly updates are needed , I believe.

Do you also think about the OS built-in security feautures ? If you think about that , we can for sure say that at least 10% (if not much more) cannot run without user insistent interaction.

20. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Exactly. Which is why those products that rely exclusively on their "cutting-edge" heuristics are nothing but a farce. Good protection consists of multiple technologies, such as swift signature updates and behavior blockers, working in tandem.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

According to this post, updates are back. Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.