Dr.Web update problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BrainWarp, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

Has anyone had a problem updating Dr.Web?Just says cannot download version file.

I' m showing 59096 defs.

2. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

No problems here. I'm showing 59298.
    Have you tried updating manually from here? Dr Web bases

If you check the update log file --DrWebUpW.log-- it might give you a more detailed explanation as to what the problem might be.

edit: sheesh, I forgot to give the url. I'll be fine, really. :doubt:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  3. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

Updates are working okay for me. Like shorty1, I also show 59298 defs as of 2004-11-17.

A) When was the last date that you successfully updated?

B) When you right-click the green spider, & then click "About".....
    *Does it show "all" for "Key"?
    *What date does it show for "Subscription"?
    *Does it show 4.32b for "Engine" & "Agent" respectively?

C) The URL you are using for updates should be...
    http: // www. antivir. ru/ drweb/ update/

Is it?

4. ?ewq

?ewq Guest

fewqef

5. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

There should be 61108 definitions right now, but no matter what I do I only get 60596 and that is 512 missing. that is as much as DRW43217.vdb is showing but I have tried to download both manually and automated but nothing helps. Anybody else with a problem.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

I attach an extract of my DRW definitions inventory as of today. Since you are *short* by 512 sigs, I would say that there was a "failed" on drw43217.vdb. You can check on this by going to your DrWeb folder & using Notepad to open DRWEBUPW.log. The download history for 43217 should be close to the bottom of that file.

If I am correct, then go to DrWeb file folder on your computer and back-up the following 2 files to a temp folder then delete those 2 files from the DrWeb folder...
    drw43217.vdb
    drw43217.txt

Then do a download of DrWeb signatures. The above 2 files should again download and (hopefully) will successfully load this time.

NOTE: Right-clicking the little spider in your system tray, & then clicking "about" will get you info on sig updates. However, it takes the spider a while to update. For a faster reading, check your DRWEBUPW.log again.

I hope this works. Let us know. Hopefully Blackcat, shorty1, & other DRW experts will jump in if this doesn't do the trick.

Attached Files:

• drw.gif
      drw.gif
      File size:
      3.8 KB
      Views:
  7. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

Are you basing the number of definitions on the total shown here? http://www.drweb.com/

If so, I think that number is faulty. It appears to me that the "bean counter" at Dr Web.com has counted the drw43217.vdb base twice. Long weekend, perhaps? :)
    I currently show 61289 but I'm using the drwnasty.vdb base. So minus the 685 in that file and it would be 60604, just like the screenshot bellgamin posted. So I think you are fine, the problem is really a simple math mistake on their part, in my opinion anyway.

edit: can't type... and to add that another reason I think the count is off is because the total virus base just turned over 60000 within the last week, or there about, and I wouldn't expect it to be in excess of 61000 this quickly based on the roughly 300 - 600 new additions to the virus bases per week, if that makes any sense.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  8. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Thankyou bellgamin and shorty for your answers. Bellgamin I had done what you suggested and it didnt change anything and I think Shorty is right about drweb not being able to count.

regards bibbe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.