Dr.Web strange memory problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bob, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob

Bob Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a strange memory problem when starting Dr.Web scanner with scan memory enabled in the scanner settings.
    The memory usage raises and stays very high as shown in the attachment. Same problem if I test memory.
    Contacted twice Dr.Web without response.
    I have XP home + sp1.
    Does anybody else have this problem and/or know to solve it?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Common problem with DrWeb and NT based systems. There is nothing to worry about since the virtual memory usage is normal.

Check this thread for more info.

tECHNODROME

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I think you have a virus :D

4. westwind

westwind Registered Member

drweb has become a resource hogo_Oo_O??

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

No, westwind,

If you read carefully the thread that Technodrome posted you will see that this anomaly is only seen when using the on-demand scanner. More importantly, Virtual Memory is not affected at all.

This is a much more accurate reflection of true memory demands rather than the Mem Usage column.

So Dr Web can still be regarded as a low resource AV.

6. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

No, this phenomena is nothing new for Dr Web. Further, it only seems that loads of memory is being used because of the way Windows polls memory usage and because of the way Dr Web scans memory. It appears to me (and I'm no expert) that when Dr Web momentarily "lifts" the program from memory for scanning and then replaces it, the memory usage just gets multiplied by what was already there before being scanned by Dr Web. So, basically, the memory usage column is incorrect after running the memory scan.
    Anyway, if your task manager doesn't show a column for "VM Size" (and I don't think it does by default) then, in Task Manager, go to: View>> Select Columns >> and put a check mark in the option for Virtual Memory Size. Now when you run the Dr Web scanner you can monitor vitual memory size and you will see that it doesn't change. VM Size is what you want to be concerned with. If when running the memory scanner the VM Size column was to do somersaults like memory usage then, yes, Dr Web would be a resource hog. :)

For the record: Dr Web claims this is a Windows issue and not the memory scanner. I tend to agree with them. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.