Dr.Web livecd problems

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ReaderK, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaderK

ReaderK Registered Member

Decided to try the Dr.Web live cd as a confirmation that my systems are clear after an unrequested change of a VerifiedByVisa password! Eeek!

Anyway - 1 PC has obscure graphics card so stuck in command line mode. That's acceptable unless someone knows how to add a graphics driver to the cd mix.

Problem 1: The command line switches between UK and RU keyboard layouts on the fly. You can be typing a command and it switches between english and russian every so often.

Problem 2: When it hit a (big) iso image on one of my drives it crashed out. Line 10/8456.

Problem 3: On the other PC it ran in GUI mode until it reached the virus vault of AVG which had some old (big) files in it. Again it crashed out.

Not convinced yet!

2. SergM

SergM Registered Member

3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Personally I'm not a fan of these standalone AV boot cds,there are far better options available.UBCD4Win contains multiple AM scanners plus driver integration is much better implemented.

4. ReaderK

ReaderK Registered Member

Been trying the live CD on a Dell running XP (now).

It seems prone to crashing. The PC hasn't got loads of memory on it and each time Dr Web has crashed at some point. It was also necessary to nudge the early part of the boot to cope with the display adapter during boot - oddly X windows was fine though.

My theory given the problems on 3pcs is that the linux version of the scanner (or the os build) has a memory leak in it. Thus the PC runs out of memory during a long scan. Its a shame as a pure boot scanner - especially in another O/S - offers a different degree of security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.