Dr.Web - Beta Version 4.33 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Miyagi, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Doctor Web, Ltd., a Russian developer of Dr.Web anti-virus solutions, has released beta-version 4.33 of the Dr.Web Anti-virus for Windows workstations. The main changes are made in the anti-virus scanner and SpIDer Mail monitor.

In addition to SpIDerGate HTTP-monitor, the new version of the anti-virus scanner incorporates anti-rootkit tools. Rootkit is the set of components allowing various malware to hide its activity in the computer. The new scanner version uses the mechanism allowing to detect and disinfect malware protected by rootkits. Counteraction to rootkits is one of the priority tasks in the anti-virus development, as more and more destructive software using various rootkits to masquerade its presence in systems is being developed now.

The option to check mail messages received via IMAP rev.1 protocol is added to SpIDer Mail monitor. Besides, the speed of the receipt of mail messages from mail clients is increased dramatically.

We welcome users to register as beta-testers of the new scanner version of the Dr.Web Anti-virus at http://beta.drweb.com/.

To obtain the complete updated version of the scanner, you should install the new version. The updated scanner version is not available through automatic updating.

Source: http://info.drweb.com/show/2780

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Good to see that even more new protective features are being added.

BUT I would like them to improve the speed of the present on-demand scanner, particularly when regular on-demand scanning is recommended when using SpiderGuard in Smart-Mode.

On my system, it is still one of the slowest AV's I have used, even on default settings. It does not seem to like large Media/CAB files!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  3. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I have noticed the same slow scanning with DrW, and KAV with large CAB's.
    Especially "new" CAB's like the WindowsPE Install, boot, etc CAB's from the new Windows Automated Installation Kit(WAIK).
    Even CureIt is slow.

4. controler

controler Guest

I did not know Dr Web had a Live CD. When going to the live cd page and clicking on the english tab, it still only shows russian.

http://info.drweb.com/show/2778/ru

Actualy clicking on the info link to either product only shows Russian.

controler

5. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

The new DrWeb 4.33.2 with SpIDer Gate for Win beta2 is actually not so slow anymore. When I told you before that the first 4.33 version took totally 1 h 45 min to scan my hard disks full, the first 4.33.2 took then 1 h 15 min and this newest 4.33.2 with SpIDer Gate for Win beta2 took only 50 min 51 sec, about the same as BitDefender 9.5 Standard. Only one file was excluded from scanning, "rw2_021_w02_fin" about 162 Megs HP PSC 1215 driver installer. When I scanned that file only, it took 3 min 39 sec. The size of total scanned files were 110 GB.

It was so close that I will leave DrWeb team so far, but now the old good doctor is back again as my favourite av. :)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  6. Blackcat

The scanning engine in the new beta has definitely changed for the better. No more sticking on large CAB files here.

BUT I am also using FirstDefense and this new beta now scans all snapshots, so any speed increase is lost.

The SpIDerGate HTTP scanner is improving; I am now seeing little slowdown when surfing. But RAM usage between 24-45 MB may be a concern for those on older machines.

Attached Files:

7. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Here are my settings with the SpIDer Gate for Win beta2 enabled. Unfortunately these were disabled after the reboot!!!o_O

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

8. Severyanin

Severyanin AV Expert

Please try this link - http://info.drweb.com/show/2781/en
    It will be in English:)
    The LiveCD will be soon released, too.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yes, but the download link on that page is THIS which is (I think) Russian, not English. So I am 2 dumb 2 do a download.:blink:

10. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

On the left, below the Dr.Web logo, there are two flags, one is Russian and next to that is the British flag. Just click on the British flag and the page will reload in the English language and you are all up and running!

11. Severyanin

Severyanin AV Expert

Yes, the LiveCD can be downloaded in English only. We have not localized it yet into Russian. But this is not what you mean:)

To be short: http://beta.drweb.com/?lang=en

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

But I don't speak British.:D

Just kidding.... thanks Benvan45.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Anoyone else notice that spider gate is removing extensions on some dowloads? For example, when I download look'n'stop from the official site the .exe is removed from the file after spider gate scans it.

14. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@NAMOR
    Please report this to their support department :)

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Done... I checked bugtracker but, most of the bug reports are in Russian. ;)

16. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I'm a little confused here. Isn't the most recent version or Dr Web 4.33.2? Why then is there a beta for version 4.33 is the gold version has been released?

17. Severyanin

Severyanin AV Expert

The beta of 4.33 is a version that contains features not yet released. The official 4.33 has the same number but other functionality.
    SpIDer Gate is in the beta only. This should be reported to the bugs.drweb.com, not to the support request page (http://support.drweb.com/new/)

18. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Got it, I'm sorry.

When can we expect to have the SpiderGuard with HTTP scanner out of beta?

19. Severyanin

Severyanin AV Expert

Well, the task is quite difficult. You know there have been found some vulnerabilities in the new Kaspersky Internet Security product. We have to be better anyway - but that takes time. I cannot give you a definite answer.

20. n8chavez

I seems to me that a major strength of Dr Web is that is uses very little system resources. In fact Dr Webs own FAQ states "Low system resources requirements, compactness, speedy performance and reliability in detecting all types of malicious programs markedly differ Dr. Web® from the analogues solutions of other developers." This is all true. But I don't understand why Dr Web would release something that is going to compromise it's resource usage; SpiderGate, as was mentioned in this thread, takes up 30-45 meg. Dr Web takes up a total of 6 meg, and it works fine.

A little confused I guess.

21. Blackcat

They obviously think that HTTP scanning is worthwhile but developing one which does not affect system speed takes time, as there is a delicate balance between performance and protection.

The "high" memory/resource usage seen at present with SpIDerGate is why it is still in beta. I am sure that the next beta/full version of SG will be much improved in this respect and hopefully more like the Web scanner in Avast/NOD rather than the one in GDATA's AVK ;)

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well avast! guys got i right away and offer the best HTTP scanner to date.
    It's the fastest and most compatible so far (from tested ones).
    People hate this stuff if it slows down the webpage loading or is reason for missing page objects. So better to delay it a bit and release it in proper way.

23. n8chavez

Do I need to use the supplied beta key when using this version? Every time I try and update it discounts from the server(s) and I get an error? This happens when I use my key. It works fine for 4.33.2.

24. Blackcat

Yes, use the beta-key.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.