Downloading problems

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mindtrip, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindtrip

mindtrip Registered Member

I currently have Eset Smart Security 3.0.621 and I am having problems downloading through Internet Explorer. I am registered and pay monthly fees with a website that hosts tv shows online and in order for me to download a show an active x control is used to open up another program that manages my downloads. Well, when I bought the Smart Security installation and everything was fine until I tried to download a show from the website. Internet Explorer pops up a message saying that if any eset programs are running along with internet explorer than I wont be able to download. I tried a few firewall settings on advance mode but nothing i do seems to be working. Can anyone help me with the settings so i will be able to download off I.E.?? I am very well with step-by-step instructions and consider myself a novice or intermediate with computers. Thank You!!!!!!! Sorry for the long description and I hope I didnt turn you away.

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi!

It's interesting. Try to add this website to excluded addresses (Antivirus and antispyware protection -> Web access protection -> HTTP).

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am interested in seeing this message , if possible a screenshot

1. Open the user interface (GUI) and press F5 to open the Advanced Setup tree
    2. Goto Web access protection -> HTTP -> Web browsers -> Active mode and make sure nothing is checked there
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=197330&stc=1&d=1201764370

3. Goto Personal firewall -> Protocol filtering and make sure you have checked "HTTP and POP3 ports only"

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=197329&stc=1&d=1201764370

Reboot the computer and try again ! :thumb:

4. mindtrip

Hey guys, sorry for responding so late, i've been away for a while. I tried all the instructions you gave me but it still isnt working. i attached a screenshot of the error message that pops up. Thank you for responding.

Attached Files:

5. mindtrip

To be more specific with my problem, if i see a show id like to watch, i would have to check a box next to the show name, then i click on a button which then opens up a third party program that manages and shows the progress of the download. Make sense or should I try to explain more?

6. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

Questions:
    1) If you uninstall ESS can you download OK?
    2) If you use a different Security package, do you get the same results (blocked) or a different message about not using this new Security package?
    3) What is the name of the service / web site in question?
    4) Are you using Automatic Mode or Interactive Mode for the ESS firewall?
    5) Just as a test, what happens if you disable the Firewall / AV&AS protection? Do you still get the message and are blocked?

I ask these because I have never seen MS IE give that type of message; I would think it is coming instead from the ActiveX and disguissing itself as IE.

Just my .0000002

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Do you have any download manager installed ?

8. mindtrip

Yes, if I uninstall ESS it works fine, i also tried installing other security suites and it works fine, its only ESS that blocks this. The website is a korean site thats been up for around 3 years but i dont think you guys will be able to understand anything on there unless you know korean. I use the interactive mode on the firewall. If i disable the firewall or even ESS itself, the message still pops up preventing me to download.
    As for the download manager, do you mean through I.E. or a seperate program? I use the default download manager that came with I.E. and the third party program is a download manager. The program itself is safe and isnt suspect and its not a P2P program but a program used only for that specific website. Its also perfectly legal as I am very uptight with copyright infringement being as I work in the film industry. I use that website to watch the korean & asian tv shows to see the different trends going on with film style around the world.

I actually might have an idea of how to fix this issue. If i download something using an active-x, most likely a seperate ".exe" app will open (not the download manager program but another process), so what im thinking is that ESS is blocking that "exe" file & preventing it from executing, so is there a way that I can allow that ".exe" to run in ESS (like maybe add it to a trusted zone). How will i go about in doing that? I will try to figure out which "exe" needs to be opened for the downloading. Thanks for the efforts guys I appreciate it.

9. mindtrip

Tried adding programs to rules and trusted zones but still no luck. I dont know what to do, everytime I need to download from this site I uninstall ESS and install trials or free Anti-viruses then uninstall them to reinstall ESS. Such a hassle, even if i disable ESS the message still comes up. I dont know what to do.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.