Downloading problems

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mindtrip, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindtrip

mindtrip Registered Member

I currently have Eset Smart Security 3.0.621 and I am having problems downloading through Internet Explorer. I am registered and pay monthly fees with a website that hosts tv shows online and in order for me to download a show an active x control is used to open up another program that manages my downloads. Well, when I bought the Smart Security installation and everything was fine until I tried to download a show from the website. Internet Explorer pops up a message saying that if any eset programs are running along with internet explorer than I wont be able to download. I tried a few firewall settings on advance mode but nothing i do seems to be working. Can anyone help me with the settings so i will be able to download off I.E.?? I am very well with step-by-step instructions and consider myself a novice or intermediate with computers. Thank You!!!!!!! Sorry for the long description and I hope I didnt turn you away.

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi!

It's interesting. Try to add this website to excluded addresses (Antivirus and antispyware protection -> Web access protection -> HTTP).

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am interested in seeing this message , if possible a screenshot

1. Open the user interface (GUI) and press F5 to open the Advanced Setup tree
    2. Goto Web access protection -> HTTP -> Web browsers -> Active mode and make sure nothing is checked there
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=197330&stc=1&d=1201764370

3. Goto Personal firewall -> Protocol filtering and make sure you have checked "HTTP and POP3 ports only"

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=197329&stc=1&d=1201764370

Reboot the computer and try again ! :thumb:

4. mindtrip

Hey guys, sorry for responding so late, i've been away for a while. I tried all the instructions you gave me but it still isnt working. i attached a screenshot of the error message that pops up. Thank you for responding.

Attached Files:

5. mindtrip

To be more specific with my problem, if i see a show id like to watch, i would have to check a box next to the show name, then i click on a button which then opens up a third party program that manages and shows the progress of the download. Make sense or should I try to explain more?

6. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

Questions:
    1) If you uninstall ESS can you download OK?
    2) If you use a different Security package, do you get the same results (blocked) or a different message about not using this new Security package?
    3) What is the name of the service / web site in question?
    4) Are you using Automatic Mode or Interactive Mode for the ESS firewall?
    5) Just as a test, what happens if you disable the Firewall / AV&AS protection? Do you still get the message and are blocked?

I ask these because I have never seen MS IE give that type of message; I would think it is coming instead from the ActiveX and disguissing itself as IE.

Just my .0000002

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Do you have any download manager installed ?

8. mindtrip

Yes, if I uninstall ESS it works fine, i also tried installing other security suites and it works fine, its only ESS that blocks this. The website is a korean site thats been up for around 3 years but i dont think you guys will be able to understand anything on there unless you know korean. I use the interactive mode on the firewall. If i disable the firewall or even ESS itself, the message still pops up preventing me to download.
    As for the download manager, do you mean through I.E. or a seperate program? I use the default download manager that came with I.E. and the third party program is a download manager. The program itself is safe and isnt suspect and its not a P2P program but a program used only for that specific website. Its also perfectly legal as I am very uptight with copyright infringement being as I work in the film industry. I use that website to watch the korean & asian tv shows to see the different trends going on with film style around the world.

I actually might have an idea of how to fix this issue. If i download something using an active-x, most likely a seperate ".exe" app will open (not the download manager program but another process), so what im thinking is that ESS is blocking that "exe" file & preventing it from executing, so is there a way that I can allow that ".exe" to run in ESS (like maybe add it to a trusted zone). How will i go about in doing that? I will try to figure out which "exe" needs to be opened for the downloading. Thanks for the efforts guys I appreciate it.

9. mindtrip

Tried adding programs to rules and trusted zones but still no luck. I dont know what to do, everytime I need to download from this site I uninstall ESS and install trials or free Anti-viruses then uninstall them to reinstall ESS. Such a hassle, even if i disable ESS the message still comes up. I dont know what to do.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.