Downloading files through Tor using external apps.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by expunk, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. expunk

expunk Registered Member

Let me explain the scenario. I am using the Tor Browser Bundle and everything is working just fine.

Now when I want to download a file(suppose from rapidshare.com) , I click on the download button, wait for the link to be generated, copy the link, open Internet Download Manager and start downloading the file.

Will this unmask my identity?

What's the difference between downloading the file using IDM and the Tor Browser itself?

2. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Internet Download Manager is not configured to go through Tor, and neither are any of your other apps, they just aren't magically set up to use tor just because tor is running, the only thing going through tor is the browser in the bundle you are using. If you want an app to run through Tor you need to configure it to do so.

So yes your real Identity is/was given for any of the files you downloaded in IDM if any?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  3. ejay8400

ejay8400 Registered Member

I had the same kind of question, just with uTorrent, but that gives te same reply.

but then im wondering how i can mask my identity easily with the download client?

than you

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

If you have separate Tor gateway router and workstation, all traffic from workstation either goes through Tor, or it gets dropped. Tor gateway router runs DHCP server, and gives IP address and DNS servers to workstation. OpenWRT seems to be default firewall/router distro for Tor. You can run as firmware on router devices, on small PCs or as VMs. It uses Debian-like package management. With some work, it can use LUKS filesystem encryption.

Ra's Tor gateway VMs at -ra.fnord.at are good examples. Importing with VMware or VirtualBox is simple, and there's no need to configure. They work well routed through host-level VPNs.

5. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Advanced Onion Router is something that may be of interest?

6. ejay8400

ejay8400 Registered Member

yes Advanced Onion Router could seeme like the thing to do it, but do you know how i connect a program to it? or does it do it automaticly?(somewhat doubt that)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.