Downloader.Apropo.CA (Viewpoint Manager?)

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by JRCATES, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

AVG detected this during an A2 scan while Total Uninstall was working in the background.

On my test machine, I used Total Uninstall to install A-Squared. I am using AVG Anti-Virus on this machine. Total Uninstall suggests to "run the application during installation"...so that it can catch any modifications. So I ran a scan with A2, and during the scan AVG popped up with this message:

While opening file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\Downloads\AlertSWF\contents\Exec.exe
    Trojan horse Downloader Apropo.CA

AVG's referrence library could find nothing on this...and a google search resulted in nothing on it either.

Any suggestions how to handle this? AVG's options are Continue, Heal, Delete File, and Move to Vault....and I selected "Heal", but this is the first virus or malware object found by AVG....and it also occured while using Total Uninstall during this installation (A-Squared did NOT detect this during scanning)......

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Viewpoint is a media player that installs with AIM (the one that plays those annoying ads), it is also considered spyware by many, however it is not a virus/Trojan. I have no idea why AVG alerted you to when you were using TU to install A2, but when I used to have AIM on my computer I was able to un-install Viewpoint separately though add/remove programs and AIM still worked fine. I have ditched AIM a while ago for trillian however. I would trying un-installing it and then deleting the whole viewpoint directory in docs/settings, because I remember the un-installer did leave some leftover crap in there, either way its prob nothing to worry about.

3. JRCATES

Thanks for the info and the reply, Matt. I went ahead and removed AOL IM (never used it anyway), along with ViewPoint (Manager and Player)....never used them either, I don't believe. Not sure why it was detected by AVG, but since I never used them and they were being flagged....I figured they may as well go. Thanks again.

4. JRCATES

Hey Matt (or anybody)...the ViewPoint Media Player is NOT the same as the Microsoft Windows Media Player....is it? I've noticed that the icons look eerily similar, and I don't seem to have "Windows Media Player" in the Add/Remove Programs section under my other XP machine (although ViewPoint Media Player IS on it)...so I'm a little confused by the similarity at the moment....

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do a Google search for "ViewPoint Media Player".

6. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

No they are not the same or related, the similar icon may be a trick to make someone think it is not crapware. Not sure why you dont have WMP in add/remove on one of your comps, it is in add/remove on mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.