Downloaded YouTube videos named "Videoplayback," instead of actual file name

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Dec 27, 2014.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Lately, when I download videos from YouTube with an external downloader like Free Download Manager, it names the files "Videoplayback" instead of the actual file name. If I'm downloading more than one, it names them Videoplayback, Videoplayback (1), Videodoplayback (2), etc.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I tried EagleGet and it did the same thing so it must be something other than FDM causing it. If I download them with Firefox it keeps the original file names though.

2. guest

guest Guest

Funny, because downloading it with the web browser actually gives me the "videoplayback" file name by default. Though I still can change it on the fly.

P.S.: I'm using Cyberfox but it shouldn't differ much with Firefox.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
  3. allizomeniz

That is strange. I'm using FF31 with Video Download Helper add-on.

Actually, KM Player will play the Videoplayback files even without an extension. It just seems kinda weird and I was curious why it's doing it.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I think it's caused by YouTube itself, I remember I saw this way back when I was using Orbit Downloader (which is now malware). But with YTD Video Downloader this has never happened.

5. allizomeniz

I just tried out Free Download Manager 5 Alpha and it's naming the files correctly. I think FDM 5 should be pretty nice once they roll out the final version. It downloaded some other files for me that the old version failed on.

6. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

You can try the "Download YouTube Videos as MP4" addon

7. allizomeniz

Hi Phoenix,

I had to uninstall FDM 5 because it's still too buggy, but I did find a FF add-on I can use in conjunction with my old FDM version that preserves the original title and extension.

8. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

9. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

I have been using this since the first release, and I like it. That said, I sometimes get the videoplayback file too. If you look at the download lnk it goes something like this.
    Code:
    https://XXXXX.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?fexp=XXXXXXXX
    So it seems the original files are named as videoplayback, and the download tools rename them based on headers or something. However, if you cancel the download and try too redownload it usually detects the correct filename.

10. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I get a similar thing with some audio files, too. If I use the "download" link for Sophos' weekly "ChetChat" podcast, FDM kicks in and offers it with a title of 6 or 8 random-looking alpha chars with no file extension. I'll then cancel and let the browser's downloader take over, and it invariably "decrypts" to a proper file name with the MP3 extension before asking if I want to proceed.

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I've noticed this too lately when downloading Anime from a certain site. And I can see it named that when I go to save the file and send it to the (sandboxed) directory, not just later on. I haven't tried to download anything else, from anywhere else yet to test whether it happens all the time now and at other places. I do know the files on this site don't have a file extention to them... you have to add it afterwards (.mp4). Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.