Downloaded WG console greyed-out

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by kwesi, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hello. I run Win XP Home SP2, & already have TDS-3 and Process Guard.

I have three times downloaded WG - the last time, with TDS-3, PG, my resident AV and 'Qwik-Fix' protection disabled (but I left Zone Alarm free up).

Each time, though, the WG console shows the (presumably an example)message "You have just executed a file that is not allowed to execute on this system.The file has been blocked from running. Please contact your system administrator for more information." but all of the buttons and text are greyed out apart from 'Click here to ..test the protection' and 'Select which options are available..'

I found it a little difficult to uninstall WG, without being able to see which button might remove the WG hook, but trial & error got me there.

Can anyone provide some pointers as to what may be wrong/what I can try next, please? Thanks.:)

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Kwesi, When you open WG's GUI look in Block files - User actions.
    Ensure that all four actions are ticked. If they are not then you will only see a greyed out box.

HTH Pilli.

3. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hi, Pilli. Thanks for a lightning-quick reply.

In fact, I probably meant GUI rather than 'console' - sorry!

I can see three main columns, with two panels in the furthest right column, which seems to have the functionality you're referring to.

The top panel has 'Select which options are available to a user when a file is blocked from executing..' and four ticked boxes underneath it, with no text to the right of the boxes.

In the other two panels, similarly, there is no text showing next to radio buttons. Thanks.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Here is a screenshot showing how I have the GUI set.

HTH Pilli

Attached Files:

5. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hi, Pilli. A picture paints a thousand words (!), so please see the attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Unless it is a corrupted download
    Got me stumped Kwesi, Have to await a DCS response on this one :)

Pilli

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You might be missing some windows system files, either corrupt, older versions, something like that.
    Can you have a look in the TDS pages for the minimum required system files for that, which should be OK for WormGuard as well.
    Normally XP corrects files if they would get overwritten at a new install or corruption, but at least check your version numbers with the versions on the page.

You did reboot your system after installing WormGuard and or any other installed program, did you and you had all scanners and other software except windows itself closed? Do so and install it another time if you didn't do properly and look how it is then.

8. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Thanks, Jooske.

Will double-check things as you suggest when I get home from work.

9. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Just as an update, it definitely wasn't missing system files (my Dell 4600's only a week old!), but as another download (Giant AS trial) was problematic, I do think that my AV scanner and other security software will be switched off for future downloads..

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.