downloaded SpywareBlaster, now can't open MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by RebeccaB, Mar 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebeccaB

RebeccaB Guest

MSN is no help. Is there a fix?

Rebecca

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster shouldn't be able to interfere with MSN Messenger. Have you tried rebooting your PC to see if it clears up the problem?

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. RebeccaB

RebeccaB Guest

Yes, I have restarted multiple times. I have downloaded all applicable updates as well. I had no problem with Messenger until I downloaded SpywareBlaster.

Rebecca

4. javacool

SpywareBlaster sets various registry settings that prohibit spyware/adware/dialer/browser hijacker/malware ActiveX controls from running in Internet Explorer. It shouldn't be able to affect the functionality of MSN Messenger (or any other programs, for that matter).

To determine whether or not SpywareBlaster is causing the problem, you'll need to disable its protection:
    1.) Press the "Deselect All" button.
    2.) Press the "Remove Protection for Unchecked Items" button.
    3.) Try MSN Messenger again - if it still doesn't work you can be sure it isn't SpywareBlaster's fault.

I hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. RebeccaB

RebeccaB Guest

I guess it's not SpywareBlaster, although that seems to be what everyone around here thinks it is. It worked fine before. Thanks for trying, anyway.

Rebecca

6. javacool

Happy to try and help.

No remnants of SpywareBlaster's protection remain when you go through that procedure. Have you installed anything else lately?

Have you tried downloading the latest update to MSN Messenger? (http://messenger.msn.com) It fixes a serious security vulnerability as well.

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. RebeccaB

RebeccaB Guest

Well, MSN says it's you guys. I'm not sure what to do next. I've downloaded all messenger updates, including uninstalling and reinstalling it.

I'm not sure where the problem originates. Is this the first time you've seen this problem?

Rebecca

8. RebeccaB

RebeccaB Guest

I guess I should add... I haven't installed or dowloaded anything else new.

Rebecca

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The protections provided by SpywareBlaster are actually very simple in nature and are totally disabled if you follow the procedure noted above - you did do that, right?

Here is an image that shows how to disable the SpywareBlaster protections, just in case:

[​IMG]

Once you've done that, SpywareBlaster can no longer effect anything.

As to this being seen before, I'm afraid we haven't had reports of this type of problem.

Now so far you've said only that MSN Messenger can't open... Are there any error messages or any visual symptoms at all that can help describe the problem better?

10. DMo224

DMo224 Registered Member

I've recently installed SpywareBlaster, but I've had no problems with my IM's. I also run them under Trillian, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Does Trillian make a difference?

11. SlimShady

SlimShady Registered Member

Quote from Neowin.net
    It has nothing to do with SpywareBlaster. When I read the topic title I thought "Impossible".
    If MSN Messenger does not work, try it later. Send an e-mail or call the person if it's urgent.

12. radha

radha Guest

Well, Messenger was working fine. After I installed spywareblaster messenger stop working. Maybe is not because of this but it happens after I istalled.

13. braveheart

braveheart Registered Member

I'm experiencing the same problem.
    Dowloaded spywareblaster n spywareguard, and since them MSN Messenger is not working properly.
    I'm able to start messenger but then it hangs, and i have to use the taskmanager to close it.

14. MCT

MCT Registered Member

braveheart,

if it is infact SpywareBlaster (which i doubt highly)

disable all protections and restart, and try then

then if it is a website, go threw and block each section seperate, cookies,activex, restricted sites

hope this helps

15. snapdragin

snapdragin Administrator

Hi braveheart,

This may also be a firewall issue. If you've downloaded the most recent version of MSN (6.2 isn't it?) then you may have to allow it access to the internet through your firewall again. I think there was an issue with using ZoneAlarm about that at one time, but I do not use ZA so I'm not sure how you would check the firewall's configurations/settings, if that is the firewall you use?

Have you checked your system for viruses lately? You can do an on-line scan to be sure it isn't malware that is effecting MSN's ability to connect properly.
    Some free on-line virus scanners can be found here: Free Services

That still doesn't resolve your problem, then you might want to follow the instructions HERE for downloading, installing, and running Spybot S&D and/or Ad-Aware, and then post your HijackThis log over in our adware, spyware & hijack cleaning forum:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Regards,

snap

16. CONDORAZO

CONDORAZO Guest

I seem to have the same problem described here. Its been pretty frustrating, having to go to someone else's house to use it. When I try to sign in, I get a message that reads:
    "We were unable to sign you in to .NET Messenger Service, possibly because of a problem with the service or with your Internet connection. Please make sure that you are connected to the internet. 0x81000301".
    Then it says:" Click the Help button to check the current service status."
    When i check it, it says that "All services are stable and running".
    I've tried updating it, deleting it and reinstalling it, changed my LAN settings to auto and non-auto detect. I've tried to uncheck SpybootSD Tea Timer from the Sys Config Starup, did not work. This is a stand alone pc running W98SE. never had a problem either with Messenger until now. What gives?
    I'll try the " Deselect All and the Remove Protection" fix and see.

17. CONDORAZO

CONDORAZO Guest

I deselected all, I removed all and still can't log into Messenger. Has anybody found a remedy for this? Help.

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Your last post proves that it is not SpywareBlaster causing this problem. Disabling all protection undoes everything that SpywareBlaster did. As noted several times above, SpywareBlaster is not even capable of doing that.

19. CONDORAZO

CONDORAZO Guest

Thank you for your reply. However the problem still remains. I'm thinking of removing the Spyware all together and try to restore my pc to a previous state. Hope it'll work. 2nd point is that is too many of us going through the same problem or so it seems, no?

20. snapdragin

snapdragin Administrator

Hi CONDORAZO,

If you have disabled all SpywareBlaster's protection, and you are still having problems logging into MSN, then that is proof as stated above by others that it is not SpywareBlaster causing the issue you're having with MSN Messenger.

I have MSN Messenger on both a Win98se and a WinME, and both computers have SpywareBlaster, IE-Spyad, software firewalls and behind a router, and I have no problems with MSN connecting.

You might want to look at your firewall's configuration settings (especially if you have updated MSN to the newest version), or maybe some other security application you have installed is preventing it's connection? Then again, it could be a connection problem as mentioned in SlimShady's post above.

Regards,

snap

21. CONDORAZO

CONDORAZO Guest

More on the same. I can log into MSN groups to see sites, like Hardware Junkies, etc. I can see and navegate,though I'm a member when I want to sign in, the message "The page cannot be displayed" appears and that's the end of it. All other sites I visit I don't seem to have any problems exept with MSN stuff. Does this extra info turn on any new ideas on what seems to be happening? I applaud your efforts to stear this inconvenience away from SB. I'll keep on working on it untill I find a fix. Any help is very welcome. Thank you.

22. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

The fact remains that you are mistaken in your ideas as to the source of your difficulties. Applaud all you like; facts will remain facts. The people who have told you that it is not SWB causing this (since it is physically impossible) are not SWB programmers or anything else of the sort. They are (including me) volunteer moderators of this forum. We do not lie to try and convince people that software having support forums here at Wilders are something they aren't. You need to check your browser settings.

On the other hand, go do a full uninstall of SWB, then clean your registry, and let me know how that fixes your "inconvenience."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.