Download from M$ update by-passed

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by nonmirecordo, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

I've just visited the M$ download centre to get the latest security patch. I only use IE for downloading patches and one other site that doesn't work properly with Firefox so my IE security options include 'file download' set to 'disabled'.

I'd forgotten this fact and clicked on the 'download' button whereupon IMON kicked in (as expected) and 'supervised' the download. When the download finished and I tried to save the file, IE (correctly) said that downloads were disabled so bugger off! Or words to that effect ;)

I 'enabled' downloads and tried again. This time IMON didn't pick-up the download (which completed correctly).

Feature, bug or mis-understanding on my part?

2. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

Maybe file was already downloaded at IE Cache - and IE take file from here - not downloading it again. To there wasn't any work for IMON...

3. anders

anders Eset Staff Account

Some parts of windows update uses HTTPS (encrypted HTTP that isn't supported by IMON). I don't know if the actual downloading of updates is using HTTPS, if so, that's the reason.

4. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

Good point - didn't think of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.