Download.com through Firefox?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I'm having a rather odd problem, and have been the past couple of days.....so I'm curious if others are as well.

Previously, I had no problem what so ever going to www.download.com through Firefox (using 1.0.6). Now, for some reason, it absolutely refuses to download the page! I get a completely gray page with FF....but when I open up Internet Explorer, Download.com works fine....no problems at all.

I tried deleting all cookies stored by Firefox associated with Download.com, but nothing happened.....it still refuses to load the page.

So I'm curious if anyone else has or has had the problem, and what they did to correct it. As it appears right now, Download.com is the ONLY page I can not load and view through Firefox.

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

It's working fine for me - the first thing I do if I have anything odd happen with Firefox is to go to Tools/options and clear the cache.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't have that problem, but I'm already using version 1.0.7
    Did you check all your settings of FF ? No accidental blacklist or so in Hosts File ?

4. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Registered Member

As long as someone mentioned Firefox....Is there a way to get the program to download more than 2 files from an individual site at once? After you start two downloads, if you go to start a third, it will hang until one of the other two finishes first.

I have seen the add-ons that let you download whole websites at once for example but that's not what I'm looking for. I use Opera because it does not have this download restriction that Firefox appears to have. But I'm trying to warm over to Firefox best I can. It's just not there yet.

5. JRCATES

Yeah, Detox....that's generally the first thing I do as well (clear history and cache). I run CCleaner often as well, so it shouldn't be related to that. I've cleared all download.com cookies, and just did both (cleared cache and ran CCleaner) and the problem still persists. It's only with this one web-ste, which I find extremely odd.

Yeah, Erik....I checked cookies, exclusions list, everything I could think of....but it hasn't helped. And it's only this particular site that has the problem! Very odd...

I wonder if there is ANYTHING else to check? Or something I have overlooked....but I can't seem to access the site no matter what.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its probably a setting in about:config anyways, u can use the tweak network extension or configuration mania extension to change the "Maximum persistent connection per server" from the deafult 2 to whatever. u can also enable pipeling amd other settings.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

JRCATES,
    In that case, I would un-install and re-install Firefox.
    But what if the problem isn't Firefox, but something else.
    Did you check your firewall ? A bad rule or something ?

8. JRCATES

Uuhhh.....thanks, but.....in plain English, WSFuser (LOL)? Sorry, geek speak sometimes goes over my head....especially when dealing with something I have never encountered before. If there's a simple walk through with specific instructions that I could try, I'd be more than willing to give it a shot. But I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to even access the network extension....let alone change the "Maximum persistent connection per server" from the deafult 2 to whatever."

I don't think I want to go the "uninstall and reinstall" route, Erik.....because it is simply this one web site that it refuses to download. And my firewall's setting apply to Firefox, not any specific site....so I don't think there should be a problem there, but who knows.....

9. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I sometimes have problems with sites because of my Adblock filter. Sometimes a line in the filter is too vague and stops something that I did not intend to.

I have also experienced problems where Firefox says that a page is loaded, but the page is blank. Clicking reload fixes it.

You have probably looked at these already.

Have you tried right clicking on the on the page, even though it is blank, and viewing the source?

10. JRCATES

To add an even more bizarre storyline to an already bizarre plot, I am able to access the following sections of download.com:

MUSIC
    GAMES
    VIDEO

But NOT the SOFTWARE section!!!!

How bizarre is this? I am completely at a loss....no matter what I try (signing in, signing out....clearing cache, deleting cookies, etc.) I am unable to access the software section of download.com!

@Close_Hauled....I've tried everything.....reloading, you name it. But I just tried your suggestion (right click and view page source). Maybe this will tell you something, because to me it's pure geek speak and way over my head:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>

<title>Reviews and free downloads at Download.com</title>

<meta name="description" content="Find the software you're looking for at Download.com, the most comprehensive source for free-to-try software downloads on the Web. Includes audio programs, utilities, Internet and desktop software, applications for developers, downloads for small business users, and more." />

<meta name="keywords" content="download, utilities, windows, mac, internet, macintosh, software, application, applications, app, downloadable, dl, shareware, freeware, demo, osx, linux, xp, windows, 95, 98, 2000, win, winfiles, file, files, downloads, zip, downloader, exe" />
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

<!-- Page generated at Thu Sep 22 03:00:51 PDT 2005 -->

<style type="text/css" media="all">
    @import url(http://i.d.com.com/css/dl/dl_global.css);
    </style>

11. Close_Hauled

Oh my! Not what I expected at all! I get pretty much the same thing. I have attached a text file with the contents of what I got so that you can see for yourself.

I would check your network connectivity to some of the servers that it reference, like i.d.com.com, and adlog.com.com.

Use:

ping i.d.com.com

and

ping adlog.com.com

Also use an external source (DNSstuff.com) and compare your results with theirs.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ping.ch?ip=i.d.com.com

and

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ping.ch?ip=adlog.com.com

Attached Files:

12. JRCATES

I'll try anything, C-H, but I'm a newbie with computers....so a walk through is almost mandatory (if you don't mind)....and I'm talking "Go to the URL box, and type in...." sort of stuff. Just telling me to "check your network connectivity" has me going "huh?" and feeling like a fool......

13. Close_Hauled

Sorry, I try not to assume things.

The two ping commands are entered at the DOS prompt.

Go to Start - Run...

In the Run dialog box, type CMD and click OK.

The DOS window will appear.

Enter the two ping commands that I mentioned. The results from the pings should get four lines that say "Request timed out.", or "Reply from nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn: bytes=32 time=nnms TTL=nnn". The first result means that you cannot communicate with the server that you are pinging. The second result means that you can.

Just click on the two DNSstuff links and compare their results to yours.

14. WSFuser

i was actually responding to Juggernaut, i didnt intend that message for you tho i should try to keep it simple.

15. JRCATES

OK, I just now realized that. Now I see what people mean when they talk about someone "hijacking a thread" and the confusion that it can cause.....my bad.

16. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Registered Member

You should be happy. Your thread can multi-task. :D

17. JRCATES

Thanks, C_H.

When I go to Start>Run, type in CMD.....and then enter

ping i.d.com.com, and ping adlog.com.com

I get a message saying:

Ping request could not find host i.d.com.com,. Please check the name and try again

So I entered ping i.d.download.com

and got the same mesage (only saying could not find host i.d.download.com)

Not sure if I'm entering it correctly, though, this is all new to me......

18. WSFuser

just tried that (curiousity) and i got the same message. maybe i.d.download.com is just not a valid/existing address. also JRCATES, what do u mean u cant access the software section. the new layout seems confusing for me. the software section seems just to be a tab the u can select categories to the right fo it.

19. JRCATES

I have the site saved to my favorites, WSFuder, and normally I just access it that way.

But....since I wasn't getting anything that way, I tried manually typing www.download.com, but got the same thing (nothing - blank gray screen). So at the end of http://www.download.com/ ....I typed music (http://www.download.com/music), and it worked. There are 4 tabs....music, games, video and software. I can access every one of them... BUT I still can not access software (which, if I'm not mistaken, "software" is really just the plain, old www.download.com. home page)

20. Close_Hauled

It's i.d.com.com

I just got home, where I can now ping. At work, for security reasons, I cannot.

Both pings work for me at home. As they do for the DNSstuff links. Here are my home results:

Code:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ping adlog.com.com

Pinging c10-ad-xw-lb.cnet.com [216.239.115.142] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.115.142: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=241
    Reply from 216.239.115.142: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=241
    Reply from 216.239.115.142: bytes=32 time=191ms TTL=241
    Reply from 216.239.115.142: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for 216.239.115.142:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 191ms, Average = 112ms

C:\>ping i.d.com.com

Pinging a731.g.akamai.net [208.254.57.215] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.254.57.215: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=53
    Reply from 208.254.57.215: bytes=32 time=151ms TTL=53
    Reply from 208.254.57.215: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=53
    Reply from 208.254.57.215: bytes=32 time=221ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 208.254.57.215:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 221ms, Average = 112ms

C:\>
    Here are the DNSstuff results:
    Code:
    Pinging adlog.com.com [216.239.115.142]:

Ping #1: Got reply from 216.239.115.142 in 50ms [TTL=245]
    Ping #2: Got reply from 216.239.115.142 in 51ms [TTL=245]
    Ping #3: Got reply from 216.239.115.142 in 50ms [TTL=245]
    Ping #4: Got reply from 216.239.115.142 in 51ms [TTL=245]

Done pinging adlog.com.com!

Pinging i.d.com.com [209.18.34.78]:

Ping #1: Got reply from 209.18.34.78 in 74ms [TTL=53]
    Ping #2: Got reply from 209.18.34.78 in 74ms [TTL=53]
    Ping #3: Got reply from 209.18.34.78 in 74ms [TTL=53]
    Ping #4: Got reply from 209.18.34.78 in 74ms [TTL=53]

Done pinging i.d.com.com!

21. JRCATES

When I go to Start, and then Run, and type in CMD.....the window that appears has a header that says C:\WINDOWS\system32\CMD.exe

Then, appearing automatically in the screen is C:\Documents and Settings\My Name> .....with the cursor blinking at the end.

Is that what I should be seeing, C_H? And then typing.....

i.d.com.com

where the blinking cursor appears? Because I can not backspace over the other....and when I type it there, I get this message:

'i.d.com.com' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

22. WSFuser

yes that is the correct window. just type "ping i.d.com.com" without quotes. btw i tried video.download.com, it works. music.download.com, that works too. games.download.com works too. like u said JRCATES, i think download.com (by itself) is the address for software. when u go to download.com, can u browse the categories (audio & video, business, etc.)?

23. JRCATES

WSFuser,

OK, I tried each of them individually, (music, games, video) and they all worked. I was even successful pinging download.com itself (no subheadings or groups)....but when I tried "ping software.download.com" (without the quotes), I got a message saying "Ping request could not find host software.download.com. Please check the name and try again". And since software is one of the sections...just like music, games, and video....I'm at a loss. Did you try pinging software.download.com yourself, and if so were you successful when you tried it?

24. WSFuser

i believe download.com defaults to the software section and software.download.com just doesnt exist.

25. JRCATES

You're probaby right. Oh well, at least we know that I can ping download.com....but there must be some explanation as to why the download.com site refuses to download through Firefox (when it will through Internet Explorer). I cleared cache and history numerous times, deleted all cookies....even upgraded to 1.0.7.....but still, nothing. It's just this one web-site that can't be viewed through Firefox......very odd, and I'm at a loss, to say the least....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.