Downgrading/Replacing Windows 7 to XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, It,s a question to the wilder,s membets and helpers here, I have a full retail version of Windows7 Home Premium. I want to replace it with XP to use in VM for software testing( I don,t have a copy of XP to put in a VM).

Is there a way out?

Thanks for any help indeed.

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

3. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

It's my understanding that you need an OEM version of either Win 7 Pro or Win 7 Ultimate to downgrade to XP Pro without having to pay for another license.

You can download the Win 7 Enterprise 90-day free trial and use Virtual PC and XP Mode. The evaluation copy of Win 7 Enterprise (for IT professionals) can be downloaded until December 31, 2010. But you must use Win 7 Enterprise and Virtual PC in order to use the free copy of XP Pro SP3 included with XP Mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

5. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

How about using an evaluation version of XP for testing in a VM? I do not know how long you can use XP without a serial code.

Another option is to use an evaluation version of Win 7 ultimate/pro, that DOES have XP mode. You can use win 7 for 120 days without a code, legally.

6. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

FWIW, I was mistaken in post #3. Virtual PC and XP Mode will not function in the Windows 7 Enterprise 90-day evaluation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.