Downgrading/Replacing Windows 7 to XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, It,s a question to the wilder,s membets and helpers here, I have a full retail version of Windows7 Home Premium. I want to replace it with XP to use in VM for software testing( I don,t have a copy of XP to put in a VM).

Is there a way out?

Thanks for any help indeed.

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

3. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

It's my understanding that you need an OEM version of either Win 7 Pro or Win 7 Ultimate to downgrade to XP Pro without having to pay for another license.

You can download the Win 7 Enterprise 90-day free trial and use Virtual PC and XP Mode. The evaluation copy of Win 7 Enterprise (for IT professionals) can be downloaded until December 31, 2010. But you must use Win 7 Enterprise and Virtual PC in order to use the free copy of XP Pro SP3 included with XP Mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

5. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

How about using an evaluation version of XP for testing in a VM? I do not know how long you can use XP without a serial code.

Another option is to use an evaluation version of Win 7 ultimate/pro, that DOES have XP mode. You can use win 7 for 120 days without a code, legally.

6. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

FWIW, I was mistaken in post #3. Virtual PC and XP Mode will not function in the Windows 7 Enterprise 90-day evaluation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.