Downgrade ESS license to NOD32?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by E-Buzz, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Is it possible to "downgrade" existing ESS license to be used with NOD32 only? Or maybe the license works "as is" with NOD32?

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes it is. An existing ESS license can be used with any version of either ESS or NOD32.

I've just used my own complimentary ESS license (thanks ESET :thumb: ) to "downgrade" to NOD32 with no problem.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Is there any specific issue with ESS due to which you'd like to downgrade to EAV?

4. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Good question, and not very easy to answer. Im a hardcore ESET fan since back in the days when i was using NOD32. When the ESS was introduced i was very happy because an outstanding product (NOD32) combined with a good firewall functionality was what i wanted.

I upgraded my license, all was well, the program was smooth and fairly easy on the resources. I liked it. Then came version 4........with 4.2.40.0 and the one before, 4.0.xx.xx (dont remember the exact version) my downloads from the web started to get corrupt. See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=270026

To solve that i had to restrict some of the programs functionality (as described in the above thread). Now 4.2.40.0 does unwanted and obtrusive things on my IMAP servers. Once again i have to restrict some of the programs functionality to partially get rid of the problems.

This makes me believe i should consider if i really need all the functions of ESS. Do i need an antivirus/antispyware module that corrupts my downloads? Do i need an obtrusive antispam module that makes shadow copys of emails on IMAP servers just because it cant delete a message? Right now i have three different directories on the IMAP servers doing basically the same thing, Junk, Trash and ESET Antispam. Do i need that? I would say no........https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=270269

You can always turn some of these features off, but then again, do i need ESS if i have to turn features off to get the functionality i want? I have antoher standalone program that takes care of spyware and nasty stuff like that, i have a very competent SPI firewall in my router, the only thing i then need is a lightweight and highly efficient antivirus program, hence NOD32, and a program that takes care of managing the built in Windows7 firewall so it stops unwanted outgoing attempts from the computer (think Sphinx Software).

So basically i am still a hardcore ESET fan that no longer needs all the bells and whistles in ESS, and most certainly i dont need the unwanted "side effects" that this 4.2.40.0 version produces. NOD32 with a few modifications from the default settings will do just nice for me.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.