Double Verification

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ErikAlbert, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use the latest version/build of ATI and I restore an image backup file (.tib) of my system partition, using ATI under winXPproSP2.

1. After clicking the "Proceed" button ATI starts verifying the .tib-file.
    2. After verification, ATI asks me to reboot, so I click the "Reboot"-button
    3. After reboot, ATI starts verifying the .tib-file AGAIN.
    4. After verification, the restoration starts.
    5. After clicking the "OK"-button, I'm back in business.

Nothing is wrong, but why a double verification of the same .tib-file and it happens always.
    This must be as old as Acronis itself, why isn't it fixed yet o_O

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello ErikAlbert,

Well, not quite as old as Acronis itself!! The problem first appeared in TI 9.0 Home Build 3567 and was reported in this previous thread titled <Build 3567 - Unnecessary Verification?>. Seems we are still waiting for the fix promised by Acronis Support last April :(.

Regards

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Have you tried starting the restoration by booting from the recovery disk as one would do if the drive had failed?

4. ErikAlbert

I'm quite sure I will have only ONE verification, when I use the recovery disk, but that isn't the point.

The point is :
    ATI offers the possibility to restore your system partition in two ways :
    1. using Recovery CD with ONE verification
    2. using ATI under Windows with TWO verification
    and each user decides for himself, which one he likes to use, that's called "freedom".

If Acronis provides two ways, both have to work properly.
    The double verification in method #2 needs to be fixed.

I don't like method #1, so I use method #2 and I'm not going to change my habit, because Acronis made a mistake. I'm only asking Acronis to fix it.

I consider method #1 as a workaround for a problem in method #2 and I hate workarounds, certainly when they can be fixed easily in the program.

5. Menorcaman

Hi there Xpilot,

The problem only manifests itself if commencing a restore (with validation) from within Windows of the system disk/partition i.e. when TI needs to reboot into a Linux based rescue environment. The obvious workaround is to restore (with validation) the system disk/partition after booting from the Aconis rescue CD as you say.

However, TI has the capability to commence a system disk/partition restore from within Windows, therefore the reported undesirable behaviour needs to be modified in my view.

Kind regards

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi Menocaman,

I agree that it needs to be fixed but as the CD method is a painless workaround I do not see it as a high priority item. I always restore my system disk from the CD as I know that there will have to be a reboot and I find it easier and faster that way and just go with the flow.

Xpilot

7. Menorcaman

No problem with that :thumb:. However, I use a desktop shortcut to run a batch file that copies my email folders and personal data files to my backup drive and then starts True Image. That way I ensure that I always have a current copy of my data before restoring an earlier image. After the restore I run a second batch files that just copies the current data back to my main drive. Contents of the two batch files (in this case for when backing up/restoring to/from my external USB drive) attached for perusal if anyone is interested.

If I started the restore from the rescue CD it's odds on that I will have forgotten to copy my current data files across before booting from the CD :p. At my age that's easily done :D.

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  8. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi ErikAlbert,

What about unchecking the automatic verification and validating the image manually before running the restoration? That wouldn't amount to a workaround but rather to a different working option, selectable from Tools.

By the way, I always validate manually, after the image has been created, after (and if) it has been copied from the backup-dedicated slave HD to the external drive and before it's used for a restore. I somehow feel more in control this way.

Of course I agree about fixing bugs - and reporting about the fixes accomplished too, I would add.

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for sharing the great idea!

I hope I'll be able to adapt your files to my system. It has been a long time since I last wrote a batch file. But they look familiar ... :D

10. Menorcaman

Hi bVolk,

My pleasure. Just a quick pointer though - make sure you create the exact same directory structure on your backup drive as detailed in your new Data Backup batch file before you run it :cool:. If you don't, there will be nothing to restore when you run the Data Restore batch file and you will have wiped out the current content of those particular folders on your main drive. Not a nice experience as you can well imagine :p.

Regards

11. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

My approach to validations is somewhat different. I just do not run any. I prove my backup images by restoring them immediately after creation. To be 100% safe I swap out the current drive, from which the image has just been created, and overwrite yesterday's drive. I also keep ten days of backup images should I ever need to roll the whole system back in time.

12. ErikAlbert

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm aware of the alternatives regarding verification.
    I'm glad that everybody agrees that has to be corrected.

I like it when a computer works for me. So I avoid any manual action, if it can be done automatically.
    If the computer does it for me, I don't have to do it and more important, I won't forget it.
    Acronis True Image never made a mistake in the restoration until now and the verification works fine, except the double one.
    The verification right before the reboot is on my computer much faster, than the second verification after reboot.
    It's not a big problem for me, because I always do something else when a restoration is running, but I don't like it when REPORTED mistakes and bugs aren't fixed in the next release.
    After all we all spend our freetime to find and report these mistakes/bugs and we aren't even paid to do this. I don't want money, but I like to be paid in fixed bugs.

My guess is that Acronis has too much work with other and bigger problems. So they don't have the time to fix minor problems.
    I noticed several other minor problems and they are never fixed, when a new version/build is released.
    At work, we first fix the old bugs, before we start adding new features.

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Thank you, Menorcaman,

I'll be cautious. But I also compute with confidence. :D

First thing I had to browse the net to find out why the quotation marks. Sad. But that's clear now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.