Dot Explore! - way-to-find.com

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by hermazoid, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermazoid

hermazoid Registered Member

I've suddenly got these pop-ups when I start IE6. Can't find any info on these. Are they new? They have shown up since I used BitTorrent to download some files from a reasonably upstanding website (Valve-Halflife). Spybot S&D & Adaware SE don't nail them.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

What website did you download the thing from?
    Why did you download it?
    What does it do?
    When did this thing happen?

3. hermazoid

hermazoid Registered Member

I believe I found the offending file "jfkag.exe" in my C:/Windows/System32 folder using Hijack This. I looked at it with UltraEdit32 and could see some text about Internet windows etc. It hijacks IE and pops up in sequence: (2) search windows, "Dot Explore!" and "WayTo Find.com" when you close the first window. Anyway, since I moved it and renamed it the popups are gone. I'll delete it shortly, unless anyone wants it :p
    I'm not certain how it planted itself. I think it may have come after I used BitTorrent to download a file. The file I DL'd was an update to CounterStrike for Halflife, the game. Or it may have got in while I was searching some of the game websites? I have since uninstalled BitTorrent. I have the latest IE6 and I have it set to prompt before cookies, etc., but it got in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.