Don't like Autoupdate? Use XP Update page? Life just got easier!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Well, actually it got easier a long time ago, only i just found out.

Download and install XP-Antispy 3.92

The main improvement for this version as I see it, is that it allows you to quickly and easily save your choices for deactivating various XP spying components as a personal "custom profile". once that is accomplished and it is time to go to the old Windows XP update page you simply open XP-Antispy 3.92, then choose the profile from the menu already included in the program called "windows update" and apply settings. When completed click on your personal Antispy Profile and you are back in business.

very nice, Mr. XP Anti-Spy Writer Guy!

-HandsOff

2. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

3. HandsOff

Sorry I missed your reply...been renovating my computer...anyway I have never heard of Autopatcher before, I went and took a look, wow, its a 277 MB download! Still, it has the potential to be a good thing if it can allow one to upgrade XP without having to open one's Windows to Microsoft's scrutiny. I'm curious to hear any pro's or cons. How does it do it? How does it differ from the traditional XP update.

I am supposing it applies all of the necessary patches in one fowl swoop? Oh, i did notice there was a light version. i do not know the size of that download.

One of my misgivings about the official XP Update is that now that they have "improved" the updating software (which seemed to work very well for me) it has two problems. First, it takes forever for update to scan my computer for updates. I hate to sound paranoid and suggest that M$ is sucking all my personal info out of my computer but....for crying out loud, how difficult could it be? all the updates are numbered and laid out in alphabetical order in the windows folder!...Oops, there i go again....Well let's just leave it at that.

- HandsOff

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  4. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hmmm.....interesting......do you have more info on this product AJ........does anyone :doubt:

5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I belive you need to download AutoPatcher (or the smaller updates) once a month or w.e there is a new patch out for your operating system... then run it (from CD or w.e)

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ive used autopatcher twice after an OS reinstallation. the first time i was lucky and the connexion didnt break, the second time i lost the connexion. i think if you are going to download the whole thing you need a download manger. i didnt think to use it for updates afterwards and just used WU.

7. Rainwalker

OK....thanks people.....anyone else with comments on this product ?

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

there's this too. i havent used it, maybe someone else has an opinion of it o_O

9. Rainwalker

Thanks iceni60........i had no idea these programs were out there .........................then again that's not really all that surprizing :rolleyes:
    jezzzzz....i just made me 500th post.....might have a beer later for that......
    hell....i'd have a beer later anywhy :p

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Congrats Rainwalker :cool: i might have a beer too :D sounds like a good idea. :D

11. HandsOff

Back Again!

I have been reinstalling everything from scratch. Unbelieveable how much time it takes.

I just wanted to add that I actually was in the process of downloading the full program but the download is quite slow by modern standards. Between 40 and 50 kbs. So i just forgot about it, literally. Then I come back a couple hours later or so, and can hear the familiar sound of a program being downloaded. My action was pure reflex, no thought involved (obviously). I hit the "block All" button on my firewall and cut power to the cable modem. When i did that my washing program automatically cut in and deleted 147 mb worth of the download. Kind of funny I suppose.

I decided to wait and see what you guys thought of the program before trying downloading again, because it may not be quite what i want. all i really want is a program that will check and install any needed security updates without my having to turn off my firewall, antivirus, and with the latest updater, apparantly half of all the programs that run in the background, and then turn on a bunch of services that are either unsafe or unsavory!

- HandsOff

12. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

13. HandsOff

Thanks, I will check those links!

For Rainmaker, or who ever is interested, the consumer edition is only 2.6 mb. I downloaded it, but have not run it yet.

- HandsOff

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  14. Rainwalker

@ HandsOff...ok...thanks for that :)
    @ Solarpower...Hmmmm forgot about Big Fix....i removed it a long time ago.....did not like it, but can not remember why......could someone say something negitive about it, so as to remind me ;) ....................maybe it's fine.....need more info.

15. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I really cannot think of any thing negitive to say about it :)

there may be some thing though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.