Done image, PC won't boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dreamofgilgamesh, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamofgilgamesh

Dreamofgilgamesh Registered Member

Dear Group i'm a new True Image user. I have 2 computers, lets call them A and B. I have taken a whole disk image from A which is about 7Gb and saved it on an external USB hard drive.

I then attemped to transfer it to computer B. The process took about 3 hours and the program reported that i was sucessful.

When i re-booted computer B i saw the usual loading script then a white bar rapidly loaded across the bottom of the screen. And that was it, no further. I tried to use safe mode and nothing. I tried to start in command prompt and the same white bar loaded.

I booted the computer with a Bart PE disk and a "live" Linux CD and i can see all my transfered files so it worked, its just that the computer wont boot!

Any thoughts on whats happened chaps?

Many thanks

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Do both of your computers have the same motherboard chipset?

3. Dreamofgilgamesh

Dreamofgilgamesh Registered Member

Hmmm, i'm not exactly sure but computer A is a brand new shiny one and the target computer is an old 600 Celeron machine.

But surely both computers don't have to be the same do they, wouldn't that severly limit the functionality of the program?

4. gefrorenesHerz

gefrorenesHerz Registered Member

If the System Boards use different device drivers, in most cases Windows is showing up boot problems after cloning.
    Changing these drivers is a thread that cannot be done by a backup or cloning software.
    If you uninstall the system specific device drivers there's a good chance to get a bootable system from the image, but this means also that you might damage the original system (maybe you make a backup before if TI works properly on your system).
    Windows XP and above OS have less issues on platform changes, as they ship with most drivers required and alters them as required.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dreamofgilgamesh,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please create Acronis Report on the old computer in the way described at Acronis Help Post and do the following to create the report on the new (that is currently unbootable) one:

- Download Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;

After that please send both report files along with the details of your system configurations (for both computers) to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will try to help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

As gefrorenesHerz and pjb024 says, True Image is working just fine. The problem is Windows that gets horrible confused when it is started, because it underwent a complete body-and-brain-transplant.

Which version of Windows do you have? Have you tried using the Windows CD to do a Repair Install on system B?

7. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

Run a repair install on system B.

Watch out, don't choose repair in the first screen during the text phase of the setup... continue until it "finds" a windows install, then it will ask you to repair it.

Sit back and reboot a few times, you'll be back in business.

Now just install specific drivers for your new machine and you're the man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.